How do you do break times?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by shannons33, Apr 2, 2012.

1. shannons33

shannons33 LawnSite Member

We have a small to medium size lawn care operations. It is husband/wife owned and over the years we have grown. We now have 4 employees that work either part- or full-time. I wanted to get information on how others in similar situations handle "break-times"? For instance:

- Do you make them take a mandatory 15 minute break and deduct their pay?
    - Do you just deduct 15 mintues for down time throughout the work day?
    - Do you pay them if they start at 7:30 and work through 5 PM? Assumming no break times?

Right now, we are on the honor system and they write down if they take a break or not. Since I do the payroll each week, I can say it is few and far between when anyone is writing down a break.

I would like some thoughts because I know that there is some cost I would like to take out.

Thanks!

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your labour code. Our employment standards here state that we only have to give a half hour for lunch, without pay....within five hours of starting a shift.
    We do not have to allow time for breaks. We do not have to pay for breaks.

Now, if some-one has to pee I have no problem with them ducking behind a tree.
    If they have to leave the sites too often for other things, then I get annoyed.

I caught one guy who claimed he had an upset stomach in the pub, quickly drinking two Canadian beers. Bye bye!

Usually at the start of the season, people will have stomach problems while they adjust to the new work regiments. It stabilizes within a week or two.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

my understanding is in the US, you do not have to give breaks but if you do then they are paid and the time counts toward OT calculations.

Lunch is mandatory but not paid.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes when I have some guys work with me ,we do a quick smoke break instead of 15 as long as were done at the time we need to be.

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

We do shots...