How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beautifullawns, May 30, 2005.

1. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

This is my second year doing lawn maintenance. I live in New England and its been raining for a week. After the rain ended I started cutting all the lawns. But because it memorial day weekend I wasn't able to finish. (normally 4 days of mowing trying to get into 2) Well All the customers I haven't done are asking me when it is going to get cut. I tell them I can't mow in rain and didn't want to interupt their memorial day parties. So it would get done on tue. or Wed. This sounds fine to me but they aren't happy with it? WTF :realmad: How would you guys deal with this.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If customers want their grass cut on Memorial day and you are behind and have no party plans then you should have went and cut their yards.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you are entitled to a holiday, like anyone else. the mentality that charles has is the same one that keeps people in this industry viewed as lower than the paperboy. rain is not something anyone can control. trying to cut in heavy rain can be very dangerous (i almost killed someone last week) and not profitable. in fact, you'd probably be working at a loss. you need to establish policies that address this issue. if the customer is unhappy, that is too bad. my rain policy: "you are issued a regularly scheduled cutting day. every effort will be made to cut your lawn on that day. in the event of rain, excessive heat, etc, your lawn will be mowed on the next available day, then service will resume back to your regularly scheduled day. if rain causes us to miss your regularly scheduled day, and it cannot be made up, within 3 days, we will then just resume service on your regularly scheduled day. if at this point, double/tripple cutting is necesary, there may be an added fee for this visit. at times we may cut in the rain, but this is a safety issue, and will be strictly at our discretion." this is what i use, and have never had a problem with customer issues, or working for free.

4. Charles

Oh you get plenty of Holidays in the winter and when it rains. BTW he didnt say he had any plans today. THe only thing holding him back was he didnt want to interfere with the what he thought were the customers plans

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

that isn't the point. the point is, thinking long term, he needs to establish policies. and one of them DEFINITELY IS NOT, " hi, mrs smith, i know it's a holiday, but, with your permission, i'd like to come and cut your grass." no, that don't fly with me. you make a general policy, one that you can live with, and sell, and you stick with it. keep giving options, they'll have you there xmas eve cleaning dog poop off thier porch

6. Charles

Yea that is true. I have a policy of taking off the 4th no matter what. I am not so stuck on Memorial day. I am home because it is raining. Some customers called yesterday and made sure I was coming today on schedule.
    The guy who started this thread didnt say he had a policy of taking off today.
    beautifullawns is going to be behind on his workload and he is the one who is going to have to suffer. He will have to cut high grass etc. Seems to me his customers are ok with him cutting today.
    Well anyway, the day is about over LOL
    I think he is wanting us to set a policy for him.

7. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

I went to work awhile today so why cant you? LOL Use sundays and holidays to make up missed commercial accounts if possible and if rained out totally just inform the customer yer backed up due to wet conditions and will service their account asap. If you cant get to them by their next scheduled service date then b sure to credit them on the invoice for one less visit.

Know what you mean about too much rain. Several inches have fallen since friday with more to come. Looks like the week ahead will be 12 hour days for sure. Is a good thing tho, been rather dry here of late and was starting to slow things down. Figures huh? Spend all friday afternoon workin on my own sprinker system and rain rain rain.

Hope you have a fine whats-left-of yer memorial day.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no way in Hell I would mow today, this is a day set aside to honor the men and women who gave their lives for the very freedom we have right here.....we are not below "others" in the world....if your customers don't like it...screw them....you can always sub out some of your stuff to others to catch up....plus there is always next Saturday!!!

9. Charles

They fought for the right/freedom for me to go to work too--anytime I want. Who said work is dis-honoring someone? Is staying home and barbecueing honoring them more?

10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, they fought for the right for everyone to have parties, barbeques and boating expeditions.

Yeah right.