1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you do it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sleona, Jun 29, 2001.

1. sleona

sleona LawnSite Member

Lot's of you say you've got full-time, 40hr/week, 9-5 jobs & part-time LCO's ranging in size from just a handful of accounts to 55+ accounts. How to you find the time to manage them both? Heck, I struggle with 40hrs of work and part-time college, and at college I'm sitting on my butt the whole time so I really wouldn't call that work.

Sean

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

If you want somthing bad enough you just do it. You just have to remeber that you have to make some sacrafices here and there. Plus if your doing somthing you enjoy it doesnt always seem like work.

3. sleona

sleona LawnSite Member

It's not a matter of how bad you want to do it I'm asking about. I want to know LITERALLY how you do it. Do you cut in the wee-morning hours and piss off the neighbors (maybe even the client) or do it in the evening? How?

I only ask because I've rarely seen an LCO out and about except in the morning to late afternoon hours. Reading about those of you who have corp. jobs AND a P/T LCO struck me as odd.

4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Ok then I get off work at 3:30pm than work until Im done. Usally home by 7:30pm. Also I work on Saturdays for the really big stuff.I have a friend that works 40+hours a week for the post office but his hours are 4:00am to 12:30pm. He with the help of a full time employee maintains 50+ accounts.

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Sean,
    Hey it's tough to balance 40hr's in a factory and about the same cuttng grass and trimming bushes. I get about 3-4 hours a sleep a day. I try and catch up on my sleep on rain days and on the weekends. I feel this is the only way I'll ever get out of that factory. Work both till I build my customer base to exceed my factory income then tell them to KISS THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Losing sleep is tough but I think someday I'll be FREE from that 11:00-7:00 night job and do my OWN thing real SOON. The sooner the better.

Good Luck,
    Mowman

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe you'll succeed that way. I didn't quit my factory job with matching income, I just quit. I knew there was no way to build this business trying to focus on the other and the wife and the kids and the bills and the.................something had to go.

If you know this is what you want then quit the day job. I guarantee you'll find something to do..........the day job will always be a crutch. If your gonna do it then do it. There ain't never a "good time" or the "right time". What there is is a ticking clock as time passes away and opportunities are missed because you can't juggle both.

Take a deep breath and jump in.

7. sleona

sleona LawnSite Member

That's pretty impressive, Scott. One things for sure...you're probably in pretty good shape with that busy schedule.

Hell, I'd love to dive into this full time right now, but you have to take into consideration the unexpected. Medical bills are tough without some kind of insurance. Unless you've got some serious cash flow with your lawn biz when you start out you could be financially screwed. It's smarter to keep the day job with benefits until you've established your LCO well enough to support yourself.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

That's the crutch I'm talking about. Health insurance is a biggie no doubt, they sell it every day. Find a good policy and get prepared to pay for it. If you think about all the reasons not to do something you never will. You can continue your present coverage under the COBRA plan for 18 months..........mine was $460.00 a month. Cash flow comes from pounding the pavement and having the time to do it. There isn't enough time to pound it when your working all day and then trying to maintain the accounts you have in the afternoons. One more thing, if your waiting on that one big account that will set you free, you might be waiting a long time.

9. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I agree with you Homer, just can't convince my wife. I am confident I could make it FT, but there is always some doubt. This is a very tough decision and should not be made on the flip of a coin.

10. sleona

sleona LawnSite Member

JLC,
    How large is your client-base now? Would the income from it <i>comfortably</i> support your family? That is a tough choice to make, I don't know what I'd do if I were in those shoes. That makes me glad I'm single and out-of-debt.......well not much debt anyway.

I know this is the perfect time to take the leap and start cuttin', but I've got an itch to finish college. That way I get to work my fanny off just to pay back those dang student loans! :p