How do you do leaf cleanups?...advice please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jondcoleman, Oct 2, 2007.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a good fall. We will be starting leaf cleanups in the next couple of weeks here. I have always done it in the past in the same way but I am thinking that I may want to change the way we do it.

The way we have done it is to not include leaf removal in our contracts and to charge $40 per man hour. We usually do it separately from the mowing with a couple of backpack blowers and bagging the leaves.

What I am thinking of doing this year is having the mowing crews catch the leaves as they mow, weekly or biweekly (should I give the customer this option?) and bag the clippings and leaves. I would charge whatever extra time they spend from the budgeted mowing time.

How do you all do it? I am looking for ideas, critiques, or suggestions. Thanks!

Jon

2. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have started some cleanups already, but usually just mow everything now until the leaves are pretty well done falling. then i use the leaf plows and dethachers i made to move the leaves so that i can suck them up with the truck.
    i do bag a couple yards throughout the season if they get some debris in their yards as they dont like it and usually charge a extra $5.00 per bagg dump each time i do it.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I keep showing up after the grass stops growing and mulch or bag the leaves on a regular basis....I charge per man hour at that point. I think your idea sounds good as long as you can make the same money....

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, where to start?? are you using rakes, blowers, ZTR's?? on average, our cleanups are in the $350+ range. we use 13hp push and 16hp ZTR mounted blowers, make giant piles, suck them up, and haul them away. we offer season prices and usually come 2-3 times, picking up the bulk the first two times, in and out in 30min to an hour, then a good final clean through all the bushes and lawn. in all we spend about 3-4hrs at a lawn. so 3 hours is $120 at your rate and that wouldnt cover expenses.

its your business, run it how you want to, if your using big expensive equiptment that makes the job go much faster, charge more than $40/hr. also learn to post your questions with a bit more info.

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

As you all know we make the meg mo blades and we use them on our mowers. About 10. We did what yous all talk about to clean up leaves up until I made the MEG MO blades. We use to get 5 or 6 truck loads "6" yrs. a day now maybe one a week. With the meg mo blades and a good OCDC you just mulch the leaves. Yes we have a catcher for each crew as showing to pick or clean up leaves and not having a catcher it would look like you didn't know what you were doing. We just clean up the last 10 to 15 gal of leaves per yard. It works and save time.

6. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What does an average yard run for the season pricing?

7. The Cutting Edge Lawn Car

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car LawnSite Member

How are you suppose to answer that question? Need a lil bit more info