1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Do you Do Leaf Cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 13yearoldcutter, Jul 5, 2001.

1. 13yearoldcutter

13yearoldcutter Guest

I know its early but I was wondering how you all do leaf cleanups and stuff like that. Thanx.
  2. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

well i started out with a good rake, a 55 gallon barral,and a couple of rolls of trash bags. Now I use a echo blower/vacum, if you have a extra $600-1000you can buy a lawn vac. i also use my dads crapsman, it has a rear bagger it does pretty good. I found out when you are bidding leaf cleanups for the first time it usually takes you longer than you thought. hey just
    my 2cents worth
  3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, i was toying with the idea of mowing each lawn 2-3 times a week, for a huge price difference, because i will hardly have time this fall. I hate raking, so i was figuring mowing with the bagger twice a week might work, has anyone tried it?
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboys vacuum really good
    there you go
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a walk behind power sweeper, then I rake my windrows onto a big tarp. Best to do with two guys but it can be done with one. It is also better if the wind is cooperative. This also cleans up any matted clippings, garbage, sticks etcs that are too heavy for a blower. Also wet leaves are not a problem.
  6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Exmark Metro. I was wondering if I could buy one of there bags for the mower, I think there $150 im not sure though, Could I do clean ups with these? Would it do any good?
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I use my backpack blower and I borrow my grandpa's mower that bags because mine doesn't. This year, I'm gonna use my Groundsmaster, it should be a little more productive that a 21" when it comes to picking up leaves as it takes alot longer to pick up leaves than to just mow the lawn. That's my setup.
  8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

It would probaly be closer to 200.00 for the exmark bagger, but they work quite well. You would have to go over the lawn first, to mulch up the leaves. ;)
  9. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

We use the backpacks to blow out the beds, 8 horse blowers if we can blow into the woods, 3 Walkers to pick up the leaves, enclose the 1 ton dump and use the truck Vac to suck up the leaves if we can't dump on site. Time is money and investing in labor saving devices is the way to make real money in this business.
  10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go check them out and visit my dealer.