How do you dump a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Feb 20, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

How do you tell a customer that you don't want back, that they are not coming back? I have a few that I do not want back at all. A few are every other weekers that won't go to weekly. A few are just difficult and not profitable lawns for me. I have the ability to turn them over to another lco. My question is, how do I tell them I won't take them back?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Perhaps tell them that you are downsizing, reducing customers in a particular area, drive time is too far, too many dangers on or around property, etc.

Have you thought about maybe subcontracting it out to another LCO?

3. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I would just tell them the truth.......and do it in writing. I'm a BIG believer of communications in written form - that way the game of "he said, she said" does not come into play at all. From the onset I always put it in writing - and what I find rather odd - is that makes us heads above many of our competitors.......my upscale homeowners are professionals who are used to reviewing documentation - and it's something that they understand - and will pay more when they know you are a professional businessman - and not a scab.

I have a real issue with people who feel they can't speak the truth - no matter what......to me a liar and thief are one in the same. Why should you have to make up some story to justify your position as has been suggested. I better shut up now.

4. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

I agree with upsondown. Be polite and professional but tell them the truth. And doing it in writing is definitely a good idea.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree .. be honest. let them know that you're taking your company in a different direction and that the 2 week cuts are no longer the type of service you offer. For the less profitable ones, either make them commit to a higher price if thats the case or sign on for additional service if thats the case. If you do refer them to another LCO, it does make you look a little better.

6. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Be honest and profesional with the customers and the LCO you intend to give business. If the customers are real PITAs you might make a enemy. I can not encourage you more to get rid of the dead wieght and tough customers they can really drag you down-Good luck-Harry

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

raise the price,,,,,,thats a sure way to lose jobs!

8. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Not always......If you are professional and explain the justification......but in Florida........... - I here guys mow for $15... geesh..

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if your desire is to lose jobs,,,,,,just raise the price high enough that they wont take it!

IF they take it,,,,,live with them another year!:)

10. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I also think it is a good idea to put it in writing. When I have dumped customers in the past I simply send a letter saying"Due to my increased workload, I no longer have the time to service your property". I thank them again for thier business in the past and make a clean break. The only future problem you might have is that end up with a new customer across the street from them and you end up having to see them every week.

Ray