How do you edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Jul 31, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Let's say you don't have a stick edger only a string trimmer. How do you put an edge on a side walk? Do you turn it sideways and make a smooth cut verticle? Do you lay it on it's side and cut the edge at a , say 90 d angle? Just wondering. I still use my Ryobi String with articulating boomer. I love it for this reason. Anybody have any pic's to post on this?

2. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I just use my cheap homelite trimlite short line trimmer, and hold it to the side, works great!

3. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

If we dare call ourselves professionals and I believe we do then edging the lawn with a line trimmer is NOT the way to do it. I don't care who does it with a line trimmer it NEVER looks as good as when it's done with either a stick edger or a wheeled edger. And I repeat NEVER. A line trimmer does not get as deep as a bladed edger. It simply just looks more professional.

4. LLS-turfman

LLS-turfman LawnSite Member

mowdini is right, that's our finish work like a good trim carpenter. That's what seperates us from the homeowner nice stripes and trim.

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

McLane

6. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Me got one of those! I like the 3 wheelers better. Yes, its harder to get around curbs but I like them because the jobs i have for the most part are loooooong driveways and sidewalks, so I personaly believe I can make straighter lines with it. Not to mention I use it to edge flower beds to that dont have edging around them.

7. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

I am getting pleanty deep with the Line Trimmer.

The Edger has been hanging in the shop since the end of March.

A lot of my customers prefer I use the string trimmer, they dont want that DEEP and WIDE gaping hole along there driveway.

It all pays the same, so I'll do what makes them happiest.

8. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Recently started using an Edgit... Best thing since sliced bread :)

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

it is true that a real edger will look 5x better than the trimmer line...but hey....work with what you got.

when we just use weedos to edge, instead of taking the head and putting it on its side, i let it run against the egde, which trims all hanging grass of and makes the edge straight and neat....

this is okay for a blue collar residential account but for a commercial or high end account, i would invest in an edger.

Maybe you want to look into an echo spilt boom trimmer *260 which you can chagbe between a trimmer, edger or sweeper

good luck

10. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

you really like it, Clay...I have heard both bad and good reviews. Hmmm.