1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you efficiently supply plants to multiple jobs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Az Gardener, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am doing a lot of improvement work and plant replacements. I have thought for years there has to be a better way to supply the jobs. I do as much phone work as I can locating plants I try and only supply one or two jobs at a time. I don't like to store and maintain a plant that may not go in the ground for a week or more. The jobs are always small 30 plants or so 1's-5's and the occasional 15Gallon. So how does everyone else do it? Drive in circles like me?
  2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

That is exactly what I do, call around, drive in circles, plant em green side up! :weightlifter:
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What about getting the nursury to deliver? Granted they suck at picking out nice stuff and sometimes even the right stuff.
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have come to the conclusion that i can either spends hours at night worring about how to get all this stuff done or i can just spend hours doing it....well i am on lawnsite right now so i guess i do both
  5. Lawnworks

from usa

yup yup... my sorry butt will be picking up plants tomorrow since deere doesn't deliver on sat. Gives me a chance to try my new plant material burlap travel cover thingy.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if you have a john deere landscapes in your area use them.
    they will deliver your plants to your jobsite for you, along with any other materials you need.
  7. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard good things about john deere, but the one hear SUCKS they never have quality material, the employees are not helpful & they always gripe if you show up within an hour of them closing.
  8. Lawnworks

from usa

That is how our Deere was a few years ago. Now they have new management that is really helpful and nice. They have actually reccomended my company for several jobs. One of which is a complete irrigation job that we will start tomorrow. The plant material at ours is pretty good.
  9. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

we have a monthly book called THE PLANT FINDER , tells us the quantity on hand and price per unit,size, container or field grown, find it in the book call the nursery to make sure they still have it, on your way and done
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We deal with 3 nurseries, and primarily use 1 exclusively. I call in the order and have a truck pick up the material and load up the night before a job. In the morning, head out to the first job, finish and on to the next. :)