How Do You Equip Your Shop?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I figured this would generate some good responses.. I was curious....

What do you feel is essential to have when setting up your garage / shop? Aside from the obvious equipment....

tools, spare parts, organization ideas, dumpsters, etc....

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Aside from the obvious some items that I could live without would have to be toilet, slop sink, plenty of light, room to work and fire extinguishers (don't ask).

Gravely_Man

3. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

i'd go nuts out there without some sort of music...

also good lighting and hvac...both seem to be over-looked when planning or setting up a garage...

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

air compresser, card file for small bits and pieces, heat and air, fridge with an ice maker, large exaust fan, overhead hoist. Boy could I go on and on:D

5. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

A couch! LOL

I like to take an afternnoon nap sometimes when it gets really HOT. Better to start earlier i suppose

6. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Have everything nessicary to rebuild anything you have like u truck engine or mower.

7. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

My list of "must haves" are: Air compressor and air tools, cutting tourch, 110V Mig welder, sawzall, Drill press, Hydralic press, engine hoist, plenty of light, jackstands, big work bench, parts washer tank, good set of Craftsman hand tools, and plenty of cabinet space to keep as much stuff off the floor as posible.

8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Ice machine, Computer, Air Compresser, A/C, Welding equiptment, Tire rack, Chemical storage area, I could go on.

One unique thing we have is the ability to dump our trucks into a much larger truck. The property to our north is at a much higher ground level than where we sit. It is an office complex that we mow for free (15 min.cut) as a trade out. This way when a crew comes in, they un-hitch the trailer and the crew services the equiptment. The foreman drives the truck around to the office parking lot and dumps the grass clippings off a wall into the large truck which is parked alongside the wall below. I have the large truck go dump the grass the next day while the crews are out working, and the process starts over. This saves hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year in extra payroll. It takes 30 minutes to drive to our property, dump and drive back to the shop, Times that by 3 employees a day 5 days a week, seven months a year!
    A huge benefit. If I ever move my shop, I will have to find a way to duplicate this process.

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

10. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours is on the road... take a look under equipment photos forum.