How do you explain to a customer ...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by horselady, Dec 19, 2005.

1. horselady

horselady LawnSite Member

that it's not to late to treat her lawn in December since only fertilizer was applied and what the benefits will be?

Any wording you use on your Invoices?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Is this a 1 time treatment or a yearly application.
  3. horselady

This is the 6th application of our yearly program.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

with the cold temps and weather we've had here in indy, i probly question a december app also past the 8th anyway. but i would explain that the grass (i hope it was still green) will take in the urea and help it build carb's in the root system for a healthy lawn next year. and also reasure them that it will NOT cause a over growth problm next spring.
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i also fell behind in my apps and finished just after turkey-day. but i missed a few HUGE deep-root feedings and will have to finish them this spring, like i don't already have evough to do that time of year:cry:
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I generally explain that turf goes dormant, not dead. During that dormancy, the turf still continues to use small amounts of nutrients and so you are applying a sloooooooow release fertilizer to carry it through the winter months. The benefit will be a healthier lawn come spring that will snap out of dormancy sooner, often greening up weeks before it would otherwise. That's how we put it to overcome winterizer app resistance. Head start in the spring. Little bit of fact worked with a little hype, that's why they call it marketing.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Keep It Simple.

"Fertilizer for early spring green up has been applied to your Lawn in November. Thank You Please pay"
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

You were a little late....
  9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

when did you make the application? I have about 30 yards I wasnt able to get done this fall. becuse the last 3 weeks we have had ice or snow on the ground although I did see scotts and tgcl out doing apps when we had ice coating the grass blades. I didnt think it would be a good idea to leave wheel marks and footprints that will probablly still be there next spring! better to skip the app and save the customer.
  10. horselady

We have 45 + lawns that need the winterizer. Although we have done some applications, we are waiting on the weather to break, if possible. There is a chance of 40s later this week. Depending on the temps and conditions of the lawns will determine if they get the winterizer. We will be push spreading this application. We haven't given up yet!!

I saw Scotts and TGCL just last week.:blob4: