how do you figure out how much you need to make an hour

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gmcplowtruck, Feb 10, 2007.

1. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i hear you guys talk about knowing how much you need to make an hour so maybe you guys can help me this is what i have it is all newer stuff

$32,000 dump truck
    $72oo z
    $8700 walker
    $2500 trailer
    $900 aerater
    $700 truck loader
    and about $3000 in trimmers blowers and tools
    now this is just the newer stuff i own i didnt list the older stuff being its paid off

can you guys please help me try to find out what i need to make an hour i think im doing good but want to see what you guys say

2. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

a lot.........

3. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

If a lawyer charges a bare minimum of 100.00 for a consultation, I think you can get about 50 to 60 dollars an hour for most work outside your basic laen maintenance.

4. kieferslawn

kieferslawn LawnSite Member

I think it all depends on the area. Around here for basic labor its around $35-$45 p/hour. You have to add in insurance, wear and tear on vehicles/equipment, gas, and the list goes on. My labor rates also depend on what type of labor it is. The harder the labor the more I'm gonna charge. I never tell my labor rates to my customers either. Some will flip out if you tell them how much your charging p/hour. Many people think us lawn guys are out here basically doin charity work. Definately not the case for me! I just turned 22 myself. How long have you been in the business?

5. gmcplowtruck

i've been in buisness since i was 14 so 7 years

6. J&P landmasters

J&P landmasters LawnSite Member

I feel like I'm losing some money if I hire another helper, but I also can't stand stand turning down jobs because I can't handle it on my own...how many guys do you all have? do you pay insurance for them?

7. J&P landmasters

J&P landmasters LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that I'm also pretty young-25yrs. Have been in the business for 5. I want to buy another truck next month and expand. Everythings paid off except my new trailer-not too bad. Was losing money plowing...

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on how much you think the business should pay you for you work. Were you satisfied at the end of the year with the wad of money left after all the bills were paid? If the answer is no then I quess you better look at cutting expenses or increasing prices, or lowering you salary.

9. kieferslawn

kieferslawn LawnSite Member

Yeah i've been in business since i was 14 also. I was around 35-45 lawns through high school. Didn't know what i wanted to do my life at the time and I couldn't take on too much going to school full time. I made the decision to make this my career because i couldn't go work for anyone, so the last year or two i've been busting my butt and now i'm well over 100 acounts with quite a few commercial including a school district. With the equipment you have it seems like your doing well yourself. Do you have any pics of your dump truck? A 1-ton dump is next on my list, probably sometime this year. I just posted a few pics of my trucks if ya wanna take a look.

10. gmcplowtruck

ill try to take a few of my truck and get them on