How do you figure out the squre feet of a Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane522003, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

I've been mowing lawns all my life and I've been wanting to see about how much the square footage of a lawn that my need sod or a appication of fetilizer, I've seen guys with those messureing wheel's I didn't know if there was a figure that you guys use, thanks for the help! :waving:
  2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i don't understand exactly what you mean. do you mean simple length x width? or odd shaped, amoeba shaped lawns? for those you do smaller (L x w), perhaps in 10' lengths, until you get as accurate as possible. for a job, you have to overestimate alittle anyways..

for fertilzer, i don't measure, just give a price for what i think it should be, and bang it out.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it is easy to do with a wheel.

roll the legnth, then roll the width.

multiply those two and you have the square feet. HTH.

GEO :)
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The same way that you would figure any othe Sq footage, Lenth X Width of the lawn/grass
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Dam Geo after all these yrs you still remembr your readen, writin and rithmitic, I'm impressed :D

mbricker likes this.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Squares and rectangles are real easy length times width.

Triangles are a little different measure all 3 sides pick the 2 longest sides multiply them together then divide it in half.

Irregular shapes such as curvy beds or ponds measure the length in several places then add them all together and divide by the number of measurements you took thatÂ’s your average length do the same for the width then multiply the average length by the average width.

Circles are the hardest they are radius squared times 3.14. The radius is half the diameter so take the diameter divide it in half then multiply it by itself then multiply it times pie or 3.14 and you have your number.
    mbricker likes this.
  7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

As easy as that,very good Geo...
  8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

How are your math skills?

Here's what I do, 2 methods.

Roll your wheel the length, then the width of the lot. Multiply length x width. That is total square foot of lot. Roll the length and width of the house, multiply, that is square foot of the house, deduct that from the total lot square foot. Do the same for any other areas that aren't lawn, such as drive, landscaping, pool, etc. Break something like a curving drive into several rectangular areas if it makes the measuring and calculation easier. I don't worry about the itty-bitty irregular areas--what I want is to be within 200-300 square foot.

Second method. Break the lawn area down into several squared or rectangular areas, and just measure and calculate them, add together.

You can also do this by pacing, if you know the approximate length of your stride. If you are not real short or tall, your stride can be assumed to be 3 feet, for purposes of rough calculation. The customer is usually more impressed by use of a wheel. I routinely use a wheel for initial mowing estimates, and get higher rate of price acceptance, than if I just do a walk-around and shoot them a price.

Hope this is clear.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

thanks MAC--but as usual you give me too much credit! I actually had to measure something the other and had to figure it out! :dizzy:

GEO :)
  10. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, he got a bunch of replies all at once!