1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you find good workers?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Rufscape, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Rufscape

Rufscape LawnSite Member

Hiring new employees sucks. Most guys are just lazy and just want to pass time. I find myself doing most of the work...
  2. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

IMO you need to grow your own. By that I mean hire younger folks, train them your way and turn them loose to be creative.

You will never find someone as good as you want because if they are that good they would be in business for themselves.

People need to be given room to grow if they are going to be happy and stick with you. Nobody will ever do a job exactly like you would so accept that principle and give them guidiance.
  3. Rufscape

Rufscape LawnSite Member

I think your right. I did put alot of time and effort in to this kid I had for 5 years but he just never matured enough to where he should be by now. I can't seem t get rid of him though. I need to find a leader even if it means I have to pay well. I don't know how much longer I will be able to take the abuse of doing the work my self constantly.....Thanks Steve
  4. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

yeah i hear what your saying i have a helper who workis for me, 2man operation, and i will be promoting him to leader and i will train another employee to take his place when he takes mine. and i will just help on projects like fall and spring cleanups, i will trim bushes and mulch, they will cut. well see how that goes
  5. Rufscape

Rufscape LawnSite Member

Let me tell you it is hard doing that. I tried this year with poor results. You really need to get someone with his priorities straight and excellent responsibility. The customers get used to having you present at the jobs even cutting grass.....Good Luck.............Steve
  6. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

My buddy sends me his guys whenever he gets slow or I really need them. He has about 20 employees steady and he's constantly getting new guys; if they're good and he doesnt need them he gives me their phone #s. He sent me my best guy who works hard, has common sense, could run a crew the 1st day, has 7yr.s expierence, can drive a stick shift and is GREAT!!!
  7. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

In order to find and retain a leader you have to pay him a decent salary or what is his motivation for running the crew and keeping up with your expectations?
  8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, have you been sleeping?????

2009 brings Bama, and with Bama....HOPE..... it means he will pay for all the things we need.....job?

Who needs a freckin' job!!!

Bama forever and ever!!!!!:clapping:
  9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Look for hispanic guys.

Gave up on whitey a long time ago.
  10. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

oh yah....I tried some white guys, 5 to be exact all lasted one day or less.