how do you find your mowing time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FiNaL, Mar 27, 2004.

1. FiNaL

FiNaL LawnSite Member

just wondring how do you find your mowing time? I have seen on web sites and stuff like this lawn mower will mow so may acres a hour and so on. so i was wondering how do you find that info out? i have a 42 inch mower and it goes 443 feet a min. how do find the total factoring in the size of your mower deck that you can mow a hour? does that make sense? I'm new and just trying to learn all the info i can. thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

O.k. here's the way I figure it. tAKING FOR 2 IN. OVERLAP PER PASS, (1.5 if you're real good), gives you close to 3.17 ft.. At 443 fpm, we are looking at 1404.3(1) sq. ft. mowed. Now, this is just time measured as a straight line. Take into consideration turn around time, this will give us appoximately 80% of this. 1122.6 sq. fpm.. Ok, divide this into an approximation of an acre, 43,560 sq. ft., and we get 38.8. This is approximately how long it should take you to cut an acre. Now mind you, if you are moving at 443 ft. per minute, this is 5 (.03) mph.. So, you can count on about 40 minutes to cut 1 acre, although, I have to say, that is a bit on the generous side. It will take longer when you consider objects, structures, trees, etc..