How do you fix bumpy lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

How do you fix bumpy lawn? My grass looks nice and green. But when i walk on it, the ground is just to bumpy. What kind of fertilizer do you use and when is a good time to do it?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

No way to fix it until you find out why it's bumpy. Do some digging.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

We have a terrible time with night crawlers here. they push up little bumps of dirt that are hard as heck and cover the ground. I have a number of lawns that have been practically ruined by them. Not only can you hardly walk on the lawn you also can't use a 21" mower because of the bumps (thankfully I don't...) golf courses are also stricken with this problem and in the past there was a restricted use chemical that would actually kill them. Not usually what you want to be doing since they are actually benifical. But in the quantity and size they are something has to be done. I have never used the chemical, tho I have been told by a little bird that Sevin also worked. Not labeled for it though, better not get caught and say you were killing night crawlers... The bumps get realy bad in early spring and usually again early fall. Hard rains eventually smooth them out as well as the mower tires over time. I don't know if this is the same kind of bumps you have, I see you are in KC so that's close to me...

4. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Jason,
    Yes, there are the same bumps and you said it better than i can.

Thanks

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Find the cause and then deal with it if you can but odds are you can't. Remember that you are in Mother Natures playground and you have to play be her rules. There is a reason for everything and usually it is something you will try in vain to fix. I have not had the problem of overaerification by worms that you gents are describing but I really don't see a chemical cure as being responsible or effective over the long term.
    I get many requests to "smooth the bumpy lawn" in the spring. We have heavy clay soil and the natural freeze thaw cycle makes lawns bumpy. I explain that it is Mother Natures way of aerating the soil. They still want it rolled. I do not roll lawns. I sell aeration.
    My answer is education. I will not try and sell them something without letting them know the pros and cons of an action. Usually they contract with a guy that has a small asphalt roller and he comes by and flattens the lawn. Problem solved until they ask why the lawn is not growing. I let them know that he has compacted the root zone and it is causing problems. The next season, the lawn has heaved again in the same places. And the cycle continues.
    I know you are here looking for help and I am just relating my experience. I would love to see some pics of the bumps and especially the worm holes. Mayby a flock of trained robins can be developed. Sounds like they would get fat quick. Good Luck and let us know what you do.

6. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Why not use a smaller roller, nothing like a asphalt roller, something you can pull behind that is filled with sand or water. Then after you roll it out go back and aerate that spot. Thats just my opinion.