How do you FL guys charge in winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scapegoat, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Just wondering since it goes to a bi-weekly cut between about Nov. and March, do you charge more per cut or just charge 2 cuts per month at the regular price and make up the difference doing something else over the winter?

Or does anyone bill a monthly charge that stays constant year round regardless of cuts?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont charge per cut. I charge a flat monthly rate taking care of the lawn, and whatever else they want included such as hedges, palms, ect. I come every week in the summer (apr-oct) and every other week in "winter" (nov-mar). I come every or every other week, that deosnt mean I cut it every time.
  3. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We charge by the month on an annual contract. Some properties get 42 visit a year and some only get 35. We only do commercial.
  4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Just to be clear, you charge a set monthly rate for mowing and anything else they want done (ie. hedge, palm trimming, weeding, etc) is also included in this one monthly price?
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, thats the way I do it. Ask what they need. Some just want the lawn taken care of, others want more. My price is monthly, its clearly explained on my est sheet. I can tell for the most part what type of people will cancel come winter. I onlyy lost one or two last year, but actually gained several during the winter.
  6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i charge monthly ,may rate is based on 36 cuts per year.i do a little hedge trimming ,and that gets broken down by 12 months and added on the monthly lawn service .
  7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I too charge by the month. It stays the same year round. My price is always for full service.
    I come 40-42 times a year. No contract cause people move in and out of here all the time. If they cancel I prorate and figure out the difference and thats their final bill.
    Been doing that way for 14 years.
    I have 2 yards that are per cut and what a pain in the a$$ that is.
  8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have 60%-40% commercial- residential. All accounts are monthly pay, year round. They get about 36 cuts per year. Pruning is included in the price if they request. Only time there is an additional charge is if they want mulch, plants, etc.

I have a pest control business and that is bi-monthly with additional charges depending on the services.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I break down my estimate into mowing, ornamental trimming, weeds, fert, irrigation maintenance, mulching. I give a price on each. Mowing is overweighted and the rest are slightly underweighted. An idea I use to get add ons. Then if they buy the whole lot I give a package deal. With the exception of mulching everything is included in the full service monthly price. Same price each month for all 12 months.

Mulching is done per occurence, twice annually or they can pay up front for both and get a 10% discount.

This method helps me to get people to upgrade themselves and gets me out of just mow and go accounts.