how do you get a clean edge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eftob, May 24, 2002.

1. eftob

eftob LawnSite Member
    from nj

how do you get a clean edge

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: where? sidewalks, beds????

3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

The cleanest edge comes from a trimmer. That is how I do most of my acounts. If I have multiple properties together I just use my edger. If you keep the blade new it will cut almost as pretty as my trimmer. Now if it is bahia forget the edger it is just not course enough to cut you will have to use the trimmer. I guess it just depends on the type of grass. I still use the trimmer around flower beds, the edger will never produce the edge I can get around the beds with the trimmer.

4. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Steel blade ???

5. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

When you say you use your trimmer to edge, Do you mean your weedwacker? You can do sidewalk edging better with a weedwacker then an edger? Thats pretty good. What is your technique? Do you hold the trimmer upside down? Do you still get the dirt that starts to overlap the sidewalk? Thanks for your help

Lasher66

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

edger to put a groove and trimmer to widen it and weekly maint. if dirt builds up on side walk i just run the trimmer on the concrete just like i was cutting weeds to remove dirt. holding trimmer is personal pref. i hold it upside down right hand controls gass walking from right to left actually walking backwards.

i use a stihl weedeater most of the time running at half throttle or lower. to clean dirt full to 3/4 throttle after i have just edged with edger before i clean up the edge with weedeater.

scot

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Clean an edge...
    Well, I have a few customers that would perfer me to use soap in a bucket w/a wash cloth, but I prefer a stick edger

8. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Stick edger by far. Nobody can hold a trimmer still enough to cut like a robin steel blade edger.
    trimmer is faster but not better

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I use a wheeled edger to do the initial edge, then use a stick edger to clean it thoroughly. I use a stick edger every time after that, but occasionally just use a trimmer to quickly go down the groove. This takes practice, though, so be careful. Also, I always make sure that the edge is blown out thoroughly. This helps the edge stay a little longer, and looks better.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Stick edger, I can tell in a second who doesn't have one!:rolleyes:

When I'm done I go back over all my curbs and walkways with the trimmer and feather the edge of the grass, kind of square it off........I'm a curb freak........then always, and I mean always, BLOW OUT THE CRACK!