How do you get a crew Chief?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Jun 7, 2005.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I want to get out of the labor side of the business. I have about 90 accounts or so and want to find someone to run the equipment and drive the truck on a daily basis. I currently have 2 guys and myself. I want to replace myself with someone else. But I don't want them to just run off with my eqiupment or truck and trailer at worst. How do I do this.

On another note what blower would you recommend. I have a br400 that just croaked.

Thanks, Jason

Dallas, Texas

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay them. Around here about 13 an hour with a take home truck. Hate to say it but most shop around at some of the other guys employee pools. As far as a blower check out the Echo blowers.

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah pay them well. I hate to do it but i need a crew chief when i go away to school this fall. My buddie does 16/hr for his and i'm probally going to do the same.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Do your homework before you say "your hired".

If you narrow all of the apllicants down to one, do a background check on them. It can be quite telling about their history.. As far as Pay $12-14 ought to do it here in TX.

And finally, check out the Redmax 8000.. Worth every penny, and your guys will love it.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My 2 crew chiefs make $22.50 an hour.

6. outrunjason

from dallas

Wow much more than I was expecting to pay. My guys get 65 for a days work and lunch included. I have a friend who has a lawn service and he pays a guy 85 for a days work to drive the truck and work for the day. He does a great job to. I heard that 100 a day for a guy would be good.

Jason

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

You seem to be going about this backwards. We always hire crew chief from within. Meaning 1 of the 2 you have working you should have been molding for that position, and you should be looking for helpers right now. You constanly have to be thinking ahead with your employee's. It is always eaiser to find helper than crew chief's you have to make your own, it just part of the job as a owner.

8. outrunjason

from dallas

At the beginning of the year that was on my mind. I had one good guy but he doesn't drive. He then brought along his friend that works now and they work great together. But still they don't drive. So, I want to keep them. But I do need someone to replace what I do. That is drive, keep up with time and lawns and weedeat. Just whatever. I guess I will just have to go up to labor camp and see what I can find. Get them used to the route. See what they are capable of and see if I can get the real info on them incase they decide to run with the equipment. I just don't want that to happen.

Jason

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

If they're great, take a half day and bring them over to the DMV. Unless they're illegal, then you've opened a whole other can of worms.

10. outrunjason

from dallas

Well one has been in the US for 10 years not sure about the other one. But I am sure that just about all of them are illegal. But then again one of them has I think a green card. Just no DL.