1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you get commercial accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCCaptain, Mar 25, 2012.

1. LCCaptain

LCCaptain LawnSite Member

I've been doing this on my own for 5 seasons and haven't figured out how to get to bid on commercial accounts. Do you approach them, They call you or is there a place that they announce that they are excepting bids?
  2. whaler's Mow-Town

whaler's Mow-Town LawnSite Member

word of mouth is best but it dont seem like yor getting much of that so why dont you try a phonebook ad? Or buy a website or do some advertising or do some schlepping around (code for cold calling) or you could target the companies you want and try to sleep with the accountant's of said companies :laugh:........ you sure cant do it if ya cant dream it.
  3. same way you get a girlfriend, you go looking.
  4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Join your local Chamber of Commerce and mingle with the business owners. Networking is key, then you can land their home as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

All you have to do is target the ones you like to deal with. Then go an present yourself to them. Asking to speak to the manager or superviser only. Never talk your business to the little woman at the front desk. They'll always say we got contract with someone already. But you need to talk to the supervisor. When you do tell him your name, and the company your with.

Next ask them if there happy with the ground maintence company they currently have. Also ask them if they are accepting any bibs now. Always let them know it's very possible you can give them a better bid. Remember try not to lowball anyone. If that don't work just go to the next company until you land one. Just give it some time you'll land one. It took me a season or two for me to get my first one. I NEVER GAVE UP.
  6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I just go business to business, I call sometimes, or email also. I just ask if they are interested in a quote. If they are a big business they are always looking for a better deal or someone better.
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

if there is more then one location then most of the time you need to call corporate hq and ask if they are accepting bids.Single location some times you can submit a cold bid and call back later.
  8. SpillMan

SpillMan LawnSite Member

Depends on the type of commercial property. If it is a condo/apartment community then start at the sales/leasing office and ask for the community manager. They will steer you in the right direction. Some use property management companies, which are also great ways to get properties. Get a good brochure or reference package together and drop one off at some management companies, you never know. For industrial or office buildings always ask for the facility manager, as they are usually responsible for handling contractors for maintenance. Hope this helps. Anything I can do to help, send me a pm
  9. LCCaptain

LCCaptain LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I only have one commercial account and that's my Credit Union that asked for a bid since I was a member. I was more or less talking about corporations like Walmark and Mcdonalds ect. I seen new people cutting our local Mcdonalds and I was just wondering how most of you go about it. I'm in the paper, on the net and have yard signs up.
  10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Walmart,if you want to work for nothing go for it. Most were run by USM ,but I heard they lost them all. First stop is the manager of McDonald some of them are corporate and some are run by a Franchisee who may own from 1 to a couple of 100 in different states.