How do you get fescue out of bermuda grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eddings, Feb 19, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

My sister has a nice lawn in an upscale addition. She has little bits of fescue all over her thick bermuda lawn. What can I do to get rid of the fescue without killing the other grass.

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

While the bermuda is dormant, you can spray the fescue out with Roundup(or any other glycophosphate based nonselective herbicide). Just make sure not to do this while the bermuda is greening up...or you'll have to start from scratch.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Image, it kills fescue but not the Bermuda, don't waste your time with the stuff you can get at home centers, it will work but is not like what you get at Lesco and don't forget to use STICKER with it! Good luck
    Dave

4. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

when the bermuda is brown, spray it with roundup and it will kill it.

5. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

Image will work if the bermuda is green. If dormant...roundup. Roundup's alot cheaper.

6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

here we try to get the bermuda out of the fescue. not as easy.

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL , I was thinking the same thing when I read the first post. I just moved and 95% of my yard is fescue. Its an acre so Im not going to spend the money on killing it and starting over. Just going to overseed the hell out of it twice a year with fescue till the bermuda is gone.

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry, meant to say 95% of it is bermuda and Im changing it to fescue.

9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ya id like to know how to get bermuda out of fescue. Here bermuda will totaly take over a yard in a couple years if it is not over seeded in the fall

10. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

you will never get rid of the bermuda just overseeding with fescue.