How do you get fuel in your mowers?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mummert's Mowing, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mummert's Mowing

Mummert's Mowing LawnSite Member

I was wandering how you guys with enclosed trailers get fuel to your mowers. Right now I got an open trailer and i just pull up beside the pump and fill them up. But with an enclosed trailer I wouldn't think the hose would be long enough to reach? So how do you do it?

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I see most guys unloading and filling their mowers and cans at off hours at stations. I myself am going to all enclosed this year and am wondering the same question. I was thinking about getting one of those gas caddies. It would need to be filled everyday, but might be easier than unloading 4 mowers. Possibly a DOT transfer tank could be good too.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to unload your mowers at the gas station. No biggie. Usually from 7-8 am there are about 10 LCO trucks unloading, filling up, then reloading. I thought about the gas caddy that could hold 25 gallons or so but I really don't want that extra weight and the risk of it exploding cause an enclosed trailer gets very hot throughout the day.

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

What about the transfer tank idea. It could be vented to the outside and secured to the frame. I get the weight issue, but we're not talking about that much. Whats fuel around 8lbs / gal? A 50 gallon tank would weight around 500lbs, but if you balance out the rest of the load it isnt that big of a deal.

5. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I just have 3 or 4, five gallon cans. I just keep them in the back of the pick up and fill them up every time im at the station. If your going through more than 15 or 20 gallons a day in your mowers, your cutting some serious grass. Its not a big deal just fill them and if you know your going to the gas station next, top off your mowers before you put them back in the trailer, it makes going to the gas station easier and faster.

6. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

I have one of those 25 gallon gas caddys, its steel and it has a vent and i bolted it right to the floor. It wont explode because its got its own ground wire to the frame of the trailer and seriously the inside of the trailer does get hot but not enough to cause gas to explode. As long as the roof vent is open i can't see the inside getting more than 100, but I'm tempted to find out, so I'm going to put a thermometer in it.

7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Where did you get your gas caddy, do you have any pics of it in the trailer?

We had 2 fuel doors put in the side of our enclosed trailer when it was built. I did talk to one dealer, he sold Halmark and we ended up getting a Pace, but he would have put the doors in if I would have bought a trailer off the lot. We ordered the Pace and the factory put them in. They do work good, we have 2 ZTR's and we can reach the front Z from the front fuel door and the back Z from the back fuel door. We also carry 4 5gal cans that we fill from the fuel doors.

I must say it was easier to fill the mowers in the open trailer, but I would not want to go back. We really like the enclosed, been using it about 2 1/2 yrs.

8. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Got it from Amazon for $285, alot easier than gas cans and takes up less space, ill take some pics and post. But i didnt even bother putting the wheels or the handle on. Its a good setup though because when your done, just turn the pump the other way and it sucks whatever is left in the hose, back into the tank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CD04M

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks, I would like to see those pics.

10. moose203

moose203 LawnSite Member

for you guys trying to figure weight gas is 6lbs and a few ounces per gallon and there is no trailer that can get hot enough to explode gas with out an outside heat source. If any one does get a transfer tank and it comes with a ground strap use it it is there for a reason. I was a fire code inspector for a few years, just trying to put the correct info out there for those that need it.

Jason