1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get real green grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Collin, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

How do you get real green grass? I picked up two HOA's that are in bad shape. The grass is brown. How and where do I start?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

:p j/k

you get your applicators license, properly fertilize and have proper irrigation

3. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

I am studying for it. Is there any tricks on passing the class?

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Study, listen, be smart....study some more

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Pray for rain - LOL - a little urea, or ammonia nitrate will kick start it however in the early spring.

6. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

hey collin, where do you get the books to study for the nc applicator's license?

7. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The grass is probably brown because it's dormant. What type of grass is it? I'm just guessing it's bermuda. If it is it will come out of dormancy the last part of March or the first of April.

8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Jay...someone in your states department of Ag should be able to point you where to get those books...here in PA they come from Penn State...I'm taking my applicator test on friday...I havnt found any of the study materials to be overwhelming, just read the stuff and write notes and you will be fine..Good Luck:blob1:

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol...
    you gotta be kidding????

you took on two commercial accounts and you are asking this question.....
    seriously.....

first what kind of grass is it??? if you don't know you're in way over your head....

if it is centipede, zoysia or bermuda it is dormant.. only way to make it look green is to overseed with rye or paint it...

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do anything. It will turn green in March or April whether you do anything or not. Then if it is not green enough, put a little fertilizer on it and make sure it gets a good deep watering about twice a week.