1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you get rid of bubba's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, May 11, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

We mow an apartment complex and there is a bubba on the prowl. This guy undercut us when we were bidding. He knocks our mowers every time we're there and doesn't know what he's talking about. for example,
    bubba: what kind of mowers you got there?
    me: this orange one is a woods and the red is a yazoo/kees
    bubba: those mowers suck! I run exmarks!
    me: cool those are nice mowers, but I don't make enough to afford that
    bubba: exmark makes the fastest mower 8mph.
    me: the new exmark goes 11mph and 7mph in reverse.
    bubba: oh really?
    me: yeah and most of the mid-mount mowers like turf tigers and grasshopper mid-mounts have ground speeds of at least 10mph in fact my 3-wheel will go 9 according to the manual.
    bubba: oh

I know I don't have the best mowers money can buy, but they are very reliable and they stripe great! I am not a hostile guy so I just try to kill him with kindness and make him feel like an idiot. Have any of you ever had guys like this? HOw did you get rid of them?

(If your name is bubba please don't be offended, I have 2 friends named bubba, I just used it to describe this guy.)
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

don't worry about this guy, he's not worth worrying about, most likely he will not be around for long if he has to under cut everyone to get a lawn, and wwhen he does this he won't make money and have to hang up the old grass cutting boots. just be nice to the guy, and tell him that you are to busy to talk.
  3. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about this guy, at least your mowers are working in public where people can see them.

Must be nice to have money to have an Exmark and not have to use it.

Hang in there!
  4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey tell that as***** yazoo/kees is almost identical to Exmark.Ill put my Kees ZTmax 52" cut against a Emark anyday and i bet it cuts just as good.ALl these ZTR's are built the same..they all have steel decks,spindle bearings,seats,steering arms,big tires on the back little ones up front.Kolher or Kawasaki motors etc etc.
  5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Lawnshark, "Bubba" really told you that your mowers suck? ... (he's deff. got some self-esteem issues) I guess there are alot of those types out there, but just be glad (and proud) that your WAY out of his league!!!!! Take care Lawnshark! If he keeps on, I'll bring something up there and blow his mind......[if Eric lets me borrow his Chopper]
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

LS--I think the bubbah might have been a scrub. hate to say it but....

hang tough and keep being nice. I don't know what it'll get you but that's my advice.

7. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Hey LawnShark,
    I think you handled it perfectly. The guy obviously lacks some key social skills. Never let guys like this get to you. I'm sure he would of liked to have got into a *itching contest. Instead you did not let him take you to his level:) . Keep up the good work.
  8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

We had... well still have some bubbas around here. One guy was cutting a very big plant at $570 per cut... company asked the guy if he could cut it for $400 ... guy said no way... bubba comes in and says he'll do it for $300. takes bubba 10 hours to cut property with his 2- 42" lowes mowers. PLUS weed eat ...tell me whose the fool now? Another bubba cuts some state buildings around here... one guy had the contract 10 years ago and was making twice as much as the bubba got it for this year. One section of machine edging measures just over a mile.......$120!!! GET REAL! no skin off my back. I'm happy with the ones I've got , and know what I want out of each job and if I can't get it.... I no do it.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you spent two minutes talking to this guy while you were on the job, that was two minutes too long. Just because HE doesn't have enough work that he's got time to sit around and watcxh you, does NOT mean that YOU aren't busy. Just simply tell him. "hey, I gotta go."

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Since when did Woods and Yazoo start giving away mowers? Those machines are just as expensive as the Exmarks anyday.