how do you get rid of carpet grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C.T. Lawn Care, Aug 10, 2004.

1. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

well does anyone know? i mean i have heard baking soda and water does it but thats a lot of baking soda

2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you mean St Augustine Grass, which is commonly referred to as "carpet" grass.

It is a broadleaf grass, and any broadleaf specific weed killer will take care of it and leave the thin leaf grasses like bermuda alone.

3. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

well i have put down braodleaf weed and feeds and they havent done anything to it... here is a pic..

dcp_0009.jpg

4. SouthernFried

Weed n feeds do neither well. Don't use them.

One thing. If the St Augustine is doing well there...let it. If the bermuda is doing well...let it.

There is a reason the St Augustine is doing well. Shady area, lotsa water, etc...St Augustine will do better than the Bermuda. If the St Augustine is taking over...there is a reason for it, and you might want to think about keeping it there. It's a popular grass here, and much preferred over others.

If you really wanna get rid of it...get a broadleaf specific herbicide and apply it according to directions.

Don't ever use weed n feeds again. If it needs fertilizer, use a good fertilizer. If it needs an herbicide, use a good herbicide. Most weed n feeds use granular "pre-emergent" herbicides. A specific broadleaf "post emergent" herbicide is usually liquid, and is absorbed through the leaves of broad leaf plants.

And there is nothing wrong with a "combination" lawn. Most lawns here are a combination of Bermuda and St Augustine.

5. SouthernFried

I just realized there are a lot of hose end "nozzle" liquid weed-n-feed fertilizers out there. But the lack of effectiveness of weed-n-feeds still holds. Don't use them.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I usually try to vaccum carpet grass.

sorry I couldn't resist