How Do You Get Rid Of Low Ballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Mar 4, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Have trouble with low ballers how do you get around these jokers...lets talk about it shall we......
  2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Low ballers can be a real pain. One of the ways I try to get around them is to sell customers on a professional service and NOT price. You must be able to sell yourself and the service you provide. Convince people that even though you may be more expensive, in the long run you get what you pay for. Use your knowledge and your professionalism to your advantage. Convince customers that if they hire you and end up paying more, they will get more. This is not easy! This system works well for me, but your will always have people that don't care and are just looking for the lowest possible price. Not much you can do about that. Most low ballers in this are usually run themselves out of the business in a couple of years.

3. When you see them take their picture with a digital camera.

Then with photo enhancement software put a can sprayer in their hand and send that picture and a pic of the license plate of their truck to the local pesticide cop.

Just print the pic with an inkjet and send them in an envelope with no return address.
  4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I hear see so many posts on this forum regarding low-ballers. Not many people on this site want to commit themselves to how much per hour etc. a job should cost. The reply is usually, you have to figure out your cost of doing business and add in your desired profit etc., and this will determine your price to charge. Well if I work really hard at keeping down my overhead, keep my routes tight and spend my time mowing rather than riding around town, do a quality job (no call-backs), then maybe I can do the same job at a little lower price while still making my desired profit. The way I see it, I'm not a low-baller, I'm your competition. If this hurts your feelings, I'm sorry.
    Just a different perspective.
  5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i must say that i really like that suggestion about the computer enhaced picture.way to go!
  6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Tar and Feathers worked here for years, course this is the South.....
  7. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Hey good advise on the digital camera,I must try this here in Fl we have more low ballers then we have lawns to cut every where you look you see them with mowers hanging out of there trunks etc.....with no license etc trying to make a small fortune.
  8. sunrise

sunrise Banned

craig Turf Management
    Please read my post on play fields and tell me that these guy are not low balling. Maybe I wouldnt have gotten the work but please lets be inthe same area. I beleave in giving smaller mowers a chance but everone needs the same change and these mower will fall.
  9. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I was just offering a different point of view. I wanted someone to define low-ballers. Are we talking about someone who can do a pro job for a little lower price, OR are we talking about un-licensed, un-insured, un-trained, un-committed pieces of deck scraping ie. SCRUBS. I feel your pain, just wanted to differentiate between the two.
    thanks, Bill
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Either one... they will usually eradicate theirselves. I think the average lifespan of a fly is about two weeks. Get what I am saying?