How do you get rid of Quackgrass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, Mar 30, 2007.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

Some of the yards I mow, I have noticed a strange grass, and have done some research on it. It is called quackgrass and apparently there is no chemical to get rid of it other than roundup. My dilemma is that i would like to kill this grass without killing all of the surrounding grass or having to reseed in these spots. Does anyone know of a chemical to get rid of this grass?

2. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

What kind of grass are you dealing with?

3. GreenGrassEarnsCash

quackgrass

4. chipk1

from Florida

Alright, your quacking me up. What kind of grass is the quackgrass growing in?

5. GreenGrassEarnsCash

oh ok, kentucky bluegrass

6. chipk1

from Florida

Not sure but is that simular to St. Augustine Grass? If so, Baking Soda works on Quack Grass here without killing St Augistine Grass. But 2 things, I am not an expert or licensed pesticide guy so don't listen to me. Also, I do not believe Baking Soda is an approved chemical for horticultural uses.

7. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe there is anything registered to kill quackgrass. At least not here in NY. Round-up only.:cry:

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about ornamec, if I remember right it will kill certain weed grasses in lawns and landscape areas, don't have a label handy though.
    Here is a link for labels of chemicals

http://www.cdms.net/manuf/manuf.asp

http://www.bluebooktor.com/Search/QuickSearch/index.asp

You will more than likely have to use something to kill the quackgrass it will probally kill the lawn areas also, so need to wait the recommended time and reseed areas.

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

As far as I know of there is no selective herbicide to kill quackgrass. If its a small area you can try digging it up but make sure all the rhizomes are removed.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member