how do you get rid of the scrubs in your area?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JS Landscaping, May 18, 2005.

1. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I dont know how bad you guys have it in your territories but up here in Orange County NY it seems like every day there is a new scrub out there. What do you guys do about it? I wish they had something like a pesticide to get rid of em.....cause they are a pest. I have one punk ass kid tryin to take a few accounts away from me by goin in and sayin he will do the lawn for half of what they are paying me. :realmad: What should I do? I know I could turn him in to the IRS but what do you guys think I should do. Any sugestions would be helpful.

James Soutar
    JS LANDSCAPING

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its everywhere, I have some that ask the homerowner what he wants to pay??Then they do it for that price!!!

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, someone post post that picture of The Sopranos cast.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I didnt know we had territories.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Use a sniper rifle

6. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

7. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

If you consider the "scrubs" in your area competition, you need to revisit your business approach. You'll find it much more profitable and have less headaches with customers who want quality service and are willing to pay for it. Do you really want the customers who are looking for the cheapest service? Let the little guys put food on their table while they can - their murray's and craftsman riders won't last forever and their quality of workmanship and customer service is traditionally inferior. Simply put, they just make you look better, therbey helping your business to gain the clients (or potential clients) that will bring you more profit. If he is soliciting your current customers, be sure they are happy with you and that they know they are being provided the highest quality available. Furthermore, it is wise to target the customers that can afford REAL lawn and landscaping services and wave to the fella in the tattered pickup with a rusted trailer and worn equipment as you drive by. He's helping you look better and saving you hours of headaches.
    Select your properties, and give them more than they expected, and the scrubs won't be an issue.
    Matt

8. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Never did look at it that way. We do make sure everyone is happy tho, from monthly surveys to always spending just a tad bit more time to make sure every yard is perfect. Perfection is what I base my company on. I just dont understand when a dude with a ratted old truck and mower is hired by a homeowner in a $500,000 dolar home. Doenst make any sence. :dizzy: I guess I just gotta keep up what Im doin and let the scrubs die off themselves. Well have a good season y'all :waving:

James Soutar
    JS LANDSCAPING

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

How do think they were alble to affoard the 500K home? They won't spend any money. Remember Sam Walton?

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice.

I don't get all these posts blasting so-called scrubs. Every stinking one of you started as some variation of scrub.

Provide excellent service and you won't miss the price shoppers that switch to a "scrub".....

:waving: