1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you get the account of the Fast Food places?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horseman201, Nov 9, 2004.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

How do you get the account of the Fast Food places? What time of year do you go see them? I didn't know if you went to the manager or to the head of the chain. Just looking for new accounts next year.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Usually you have to talk with the division manager or like the headquarters or something. Like one here in Michigan, I had to submit a bid out to the headquarters in Pennsylvania.

Some are easier though if you just talk to the manager
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to manager and get contact info of the person who makes the decisions. It also helps if you do the managers yard. :)
  4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

It was not a fast food place. However my first commerical account is a hospital that my wife works for. I have been doing the ceo's yard for about two years and the bid for the hospital came up and I submitted my bid and got it. So it defintely helps to know the head guy or women in charge.
  5. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my commercial accounts I've gotten because of someone I knew or being in the right place at the right time. The longer you are in business, the more this happens. In the beginning though, you need to knock on doors and jump through hoops. A lot of commercial are going out to bid now or relatively soon to get #s for next years budget. Some wait to the last minute. Just got to snoop around and find out.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is true about knowing people. I, for instance, have a hookup on a large AAA insurance office in our area in a major commercial area. It will also include several agency offices around outlying towns. I've known the manager who is now responsible for this for over 20 years. Now that she's in this position, she wants me to bid. It's a full service; maintenance, irrigation, fert., snow removal and plenty of salt ( being an insurance company and all). I say "No problem!"
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't. I don't like to work for 3 months without getting paid, which has been my experience with fast food places. The managers want you to do the work, when they want it done, but then disappear and hide behind red tape beaurocracy when it's time to pay.
  8. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Ask to speak with the general manager. The general manager most likely will take the bid and get approved by the district manager. But your best bet is to walk in or call and speak with the general manager directly.
  9. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My experiences are much like MTDman's. If you want to make any money stay away from fast food restaurants. They only think about their bonus and not the landscaping. Then they won't turn the bills in until after their bonus checks have been issued. If someone comes along that's $5 cheaper per month, they want you to lower your price even though you have a contract with them. I won't do any more work for fast food places.