how do you get the yards out in the country ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodney, Feb 3, 2002.

1. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

whats your way to do this?
    there are usally large dogs on these properties .and you cant put fliers on there mailbox.

2. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow pages, newspaper ads, flyers with tearoffs for stores, banks postboards. Word of mouth. Signs on truck.

3. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes if I see a house that I would like to do (like you wanting country big acre props) I use my doornob hangers from NEBS and hang em on their door.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I am faced with this problem for my residentials as we are mostly rural here.

I don't have the answer but I can comment that because they are rural they really are not going to be into abunch of fert and areation. they just want the grass cut when it gets too tall.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Just be prepared to pick up large dog sh*t or run it over too.The dogs usually run fre on these propertys,and the owners rarley pick up after them like they do on small yards.I get calls,they want me to wait til its 10 " tall to cut it,so they save money,skip those,a 5 acre will take you 5 hrs with a 60Ztr when it hasnt been cut in 2 weeks,during the growing season.Do you ahve the big efficient equipment to bid these big lots? I figure a 60,or 72" ZTR is the way top go,no sense getting big jobs with a 48 Wb,just hang aflyer,and leave a card,thats how i got 90% of my plow accounts,good luck.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

geogun is right . lot o country folk,look on yd grass as just the part the the cows dont get to graze,so they gotta mow it.
    around here theres a few things u can do to have a chance at getting their yd. go very clean ,w clean truck etc. be ready to talk a while about weather ,kids ,how u mammas doing etc.
    it helps to know a neighbor or two. they sometimes mistrust strangers ,especially fast talkin smoothies.what im talkin about now are natives ,whos grandma lives up the rd. the move ins
    from the city are a different thing. by the way u wont get many country folk until they get pretty old,and even then a son or soninlaw is usually mowin for them.later now

7. Here we have the Sabina Advertiser and in Blanchester the Star Republican.
    They're both weekly.
    It wouldn't be like an add in the Cincinnati Enquirer where you'd get calls from 3 states.

BTW where are you located?

Dave

8. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Going at it backwords can help sometimes. We get several by getting the snow for them first. Also if you get one and do a good job people in rural areas know their neighbors! WORD OF MOUTH. Also on the comments of dog doo. I call them "mowed encounters of the turd kind"
    Polite way of warning the crews before they get there.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Last year alone i got about 10 new accounts just from snow removal. If they see they can trust you for snow removal In the harshests condition they know they can trust you to do there lawn and landscaping.

10. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I live in a mainly rural area and I put 1 advertisement in our local newspaper . It read as follows : " Attention area farmers ! Has planting and harvest season left you with no time to take care of your lawn ? Do the surrounding areas around your house need to be mowed but you don't have time ? Call us for details on how we can help you manage these areas ." It helped fill in areas on our routes between towns and was a great income producer . We service several small towns and now we have income going and coming from these towns that we only had 5 or 6 yards in to fill the days scheduled . It cut down on wasted driving time . We have a machine dedicated to cutting rough areas that we almost sold before we started this . I also picked up some great residential yards in the country and several repeat customers . It ended up being a win win situation . :) This can be adapted to other areas as well . Try it . It worked for me when I thought no one would repy . Good luck