How do you get your company name registered?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bad_chad48, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any one would know... How do you get your company name and logo registered so as no one else can use it.. Kind of like Dell computers, Lexmark printers... you got me?

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

start by registering at your county clerks office, then go to the state and register there. you name will not be protected nationwide just in your state unless you follow other requirements. I have not gone that far so you need more experianced people to tell anymore than this.

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

First you file at the county clerks office. Then if you want to be a corporation you will be covered at the state level. If you want one nationwide you will need to file a trademark. Trust me you do not want to file nationally. Do some research you will be shocked at how much it cost. To file for a legitamite corporation you will have to probably pay a lawyer around 2 grand.

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

or do it yourself for the $125 or so filing fee your state probably has.

as for logos, you're probably best just filing a state trademark request if you're concerned about it. if you're not familiar with legal research, this is one that you might leave to and attorney.

5. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys... I just wanted to know because I have heard of others getting their name stole. I work to hard to make my company what it is for someone to just name theirs the same.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

In Virginia your name is not "protected" until you incorporate. If you register as a sole proprietor, someone else can operate under the same name. However, when you register with the county they tell you to search the computer database to check if the name is being used. Most people would not knowingly use a name that was already being used, but it's no guarantee.