1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you go about placing a bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jag2635, Oct 7, 2005.

1. jag2635

jag2635 LawnSite Member

I need some help with all steps needed in placing bids for commercial properties. How do you go about doing this?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Your a minor and can not legally enter into a binding contract
  3. jag2635

jag2635 LawnSite Member

i'm almost 18 and my company is going great, this information is for next year and a new season of work. I have 2 Walker 25 hp 48" deck with all of the fancy equiptment and i want to step it up to commercial. What are the steps i need to take?
  4. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

You need comerical liability insurrance...atleast a Million dollar policy which will run you anywhere from $600 and up.

You will not get any decent accounts with out insurance and you really need to have it.

If you are sued you would be screwed since I am sure that you dont have a lot of money sitting around to pay out for lawsuits.

try to find ohio inurance.Good deals
  5. theother

theother LawnSite Member

Why are you such an angery old man, olderthandirt.

Jag, first thing is to ignore people like this guy. Normally commercial accounts will find you, but you can try to contact managers, and or owners and find out if they are accepting bids on the property. Make sure you know how much you charge for everything, then just find out what they want.
  6. olderthandirt

from here

Angry???? I think its the funniest thing said :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Yeah thats some great advise your passing along "OTHER" just sit back and the commercial accouts will come to you ! And after they all show up handing you a contract and they find out thats its a useless piece of paper they will go to the next lCO thats actually old enough to sign a contract and make it LEGALLY BINDING.

BTW-- JAG listen to the business attorneys advise and come back next yr and post how many co. came looking for you to do there commercial accounts for them
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If that is the case, you better be listed in the Yellow Pages. Not everyone decides to advertise in the book, I wonder if Jag is?
  8. olderthandirt

from here

Very good advise, but to be in the yellow pages you need a business # and to get that you have to be 18 and legally responsable to pay the phone and advertizing bills
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Exactly my point, theother makes it sound like commercial accounts will just come to you, but what avenues out there does jag have to make this happen? I knew he wasn't listed in the y.p. yet.
    But if jag is preparing for next season when he turns 18, then good for him, best of luck.
    theother, you said commercials will find you, what other ways besides y.p. will the commercial accounts come calling?
  10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

You do it the same way you get lawn customers. For two of mine I got they called me up. I went. Looked. Shot price. Price accpeted or thought about whatever. Get job show up. Do it. Get paid. They pay late. You send letters. They eventually repeat. You eventually get replaced. Proccess repeats. If business is doing good dont experiment with commercials especcially if your young. I had commercials before I was younger then 18 noone of them ever asked if I had insurance. I have more homeowners ask that. Also its not even a law to have insurance for my business except on veihicals.

Olderthandirt. The yellow pages have called me before and last time I checked they didn't care what number I gave them. Money is money. Does it even make sense to have to have a business number. I dont even have a home phone number. And advertising bills??? What are you talking about. I paid my bills when I was younger then 18.