How do you go on vaction with a lawn service?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Mar 20, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Was wondering what people do when sole Lco's just myself wont too go on a two week vacation and I am in summer when lawns need too be cut every week here in Florida. I might have one friend that can cover it dont know thou. Do I cut all of them right before I go on a two week vacation and tell the client that I am on vacation and that for the second week I cant get too that cut. And maybe offer them a half price cut for that long week late grass when I get back?thanx

2. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

HAHA...vacation?? what vacation? if you are going to be in this business(or atleast for now) there is no vacation during the spring and fall...winter is vacation time. When you've worked your a$$ off and you have several employees that you trust then you can maybe take a short vacation in the summer. Atleast u can get cheaper airfare during the winter:clapping:

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Most take their vacation in the off-season. I don't know how happy your clients are going to be if you just up and take two-weeks off in the middle of the season.

With this business comes responsibility & reliability. You've chosen to be a business owner that requires a daily commitment and with that comes a certain amount of sacrifice on your part. If your buddy can cover while you're gone thats one thing but to just leave your clients hanging is another.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your, solo, in the summer, florida or not.... if your running a business, your there, period, you dont even ask this question?????????????????

5. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I asked the question for some ideals not for you too tell me too not even ask this question daveintoledo!

6. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta go away to Texas for two weeks for military training this summer. I'm planning to take a friend along with me the week before and show him the route. If need be, I have a friend who owns a handyman business who could keep an eye on things for me me while I'm away and provide the labor if my buddy doesn't work out but that will be costly. I'm not too concerned about losing the income cuz I'll be paid generously by the military while I'm there. I'm mostly concerned about the quality of work while I'm away and my customers being satisfied and taken care of. Unfortunately going away for me is not an option. I think this guy might be looking for suggestions for what to do if you are gonna go away. You guys got any suggestions.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its the truth..either you have employees, and forman, and go on vacation, or you wait till the slow season, you have no alternative....

sorry you dont like to hear the truth... but the answer was already there infront of you.....

how many accounts do you have....?

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

he's a good guy. He's given me heck before too man, he just likes to get a little sarcastic.

9. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I own a screen repair comany also and do lawns on the side. I have 15 accounts too keep me a float when screens are slow.

10. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

the answer was not thier in front of me, suggestions I am looking for not you being cocky.