1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you grade an area for SOD???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fastrunner, Mar 26, 2002.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

Hi, i have this area about 3000 sq. ft. that i have to grade and lay sod down.. Right now the lawn is ratty, with lumps and stuff. How would i go about tilling it? what machine would i use?? and how do i get it smooth. thanks.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What kind of equipment can you get into the yard? Front yard or back? Lots of questions to answer first.
  3. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

it is just the front lawn, and you can get anything onto the front lawn. But i would like to know all my options. thanks.jeff
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok :) Your best bet would be a tractor with a harley rake or a skid steer with a harley rake. Other options are a rear tine tiller and a good landscape rake. The differance is one is mostly machine labor the other is all hand labor. Your choice:)
  5. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

you mentioned a harley rake. This is a powered rake made by Harley? I've seen them out front of the local rental yards. What is the difference between a harley rake and the PR25 powered rake by Landpride or the Ground hog by Finn? I know that these last two rakes use hydralic controls to control their angle of attack. Does the harley rake do this?

6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

alternative to a tractor/harley rake, but labor intensive

1. use a sod cutter to strip off old lawn. If the existing lawn is crappy, you probably have to rake it up. You should have a fairly smooth surface to lay sod. You might have to throw down some topsoil to level things a bit.

2. same as one but increase topsoil amount, till into soil, rake smooth with a rake, roll with a water filled roller, rake smooth again.

3. skip cutting out old sod and till with the biggest tiller you can get, add soil if needed, rake, roll, lay sod.
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Here's the link to Glenmac who make the Harley Rake, http://www.glenmac.com/ .

Yes it's just like Landpride and the Finn ground hog but Glenmac was the first to produce that type of rake.
  8. aquaturf

aquaturf LawnSite Member
    from MA

I think the Harley rake is more aggressive than the LandPride, which is helpful in these renovation projects. And yes, it does have an angling option like the landpride, etc. Not sure how it stacks up against the ground hog. But I have a harley and also worked the same job as some guys who had a land pride rake. the landpride seems better for very fine grading, like shaving off small amounts of loam for ballfield grading, etc. The harley is better at ripping and tearing sod, etc and digging into hard packed soils.
    I would suggest using the harley rake to bust the sod and then skim coat some loam across the surface, as long as the soil is ok as it is.
  9. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I want a Harley rake in the worst way. I have a little Kubota B2710 because we do small property. It has 27 horses. Is it big enough to run a Harley rake on?
  10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

A 6 foot model should work out for you. click on the link above and look at the T-6 model