1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do you grease spindles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barrett Landscaping, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

how do you guys grease your spindles. It is time for me to do it and looking for advise.:usflag:
  2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

12V grease gun 5 shots on low twice a week, with Lucas syn grease. Never had to replace a spindle on any mower in 12yrs. 2000hrs on one mower!!!
  3. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the mower! Some mowers aren't designed for it. For those that are, make sure the fitting is clean, the end of the grease gun is clean, you are using the correct grease iaw manufacturers' specifications, and you apply an appropriate # of pumps of the gun (I generally do about 5 or 6 and I've never seen anyone say exactly what is the correct amount!).
  4. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

i run all scag mowers. is there a nipple that i shoot it into? sorry, i am new to scags.
  5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

While its not always convenent greasing them after use (warm bearings) gets the grease in there good.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

See your service manual for grease points or ask the dealer. Depending on the model there can be 10 plus points to hit.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. oldclawn

oldclawn LawnSite Senior Member

YES--see you dealer and down;oad the manual right from scag website. This is all basic stuff and if you're asking here you need to develope a dealer relationship asap.
  8. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I use Lucas synthetic as well. You can get a grease gun for around $20. Be sure to grease according to the manual. Overgreasing can be just as bad as not greasing at all. If a part needs grease it will have an alemite installed on it, which is what your calling a nipple. I would let the dealer go over the routine maintenance with you before you attempt anything yourself.
  9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Service manuals and the dealer are great resources for this information.

I know for my JD, greasing is to be done every 50 hours (per the manual), so everytime the oil gets changed, everything gets greased as well. I usually do 2-3 pumps with a high quality grease (lucas in my case). Some components are sealed and don't require greasing and others require the greasing at the recommended intervals.

If you use your machine in very harsh/demanding conditions, you may consider greasing more frequently.
  10. por911

por911 LawnSite Member

Good advice but not the whole story. Just because there may not be a fitting does not mean it does not need to be greased. I have seen many plugs where there should be grease fittings. I believe the plugs are there to prevent breakage. I would replace the plugs with proper fittings.