1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do you guy charge for travel time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by windshadow, Oct 22, 2005.

1. windshadow

windshadow LawnSite Member

when you set a price for cutting a lawn do you charge your travel time to and from the job at the same hourly rate?
  2. windshadow

wow 21 views and no replies?
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You don't charge travel time per sey. You figure your cost and how much you need to make per hr. and how long it will take to make that amount. Then divide by the # of lawns that can be done in that amount of time and thats your travel time and lawn cutting price.

BTW--- when you go to a normal job who the he!l gets paid travel time to go work?
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

OTD is right I have one thing to add. I have a client that is fully 30 min. away on a good freeway day. I send two guys to do the place and I charge 500.00 just for the travel 4 man hours for travel and avg 5 man hours per week for service. The account is a 1400.00 per month account. I told them as I tell everyone I sell time. You are not anywhere near an existing account so if you decide to use our service you will also need to pay for the travel. I try not to close any doors When they called thats what I told them the said I came highly recommended and would still like me to come out. I sold them a 35,000 L/S renovation that I subbed out to a contractor friend and I have been taking care of the place for over a year. they also spend a few hund on flowers and about 1,000 on Christmas decorations every year. This fall they decided they needed more citrus tress so I sold them $ 7,000.00 worth of citrus trees. Imagine what I would have missed if I had just said I don't service that area and hung up. The surprise part is the guy is a(all-star) pro baseball player and my crew all got autographed baseballs, that was a nice Christmas gift for them. If opportunity knocks answer the door. Always let the customer decide what is too much money, let them disqualify themselves. So in summary if its too far ask for travel money.
  5. windshadow

thanks for the info sounds like I am in the ball park. I have put out lots of flyers over the past few months.have picked up a few accounts.been turned down from a few they said I was high.I am figuring my bids at 35.00 per hr I work in the panama city area in fl . The prices here are low but I am not going to go lower than that per hr. any way thanks for the info