How do you guys advertise your company/services?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MJK, Oct 28, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

What has been the best way for you personally to advertise your business? Which form has given you the best responses? Thanks for the advice.

Marc

2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

1. Internet
    2. yard signs
    3. select print media
    4. vendor referrals
    5. truck lettering
    6. t-shirts

These not in order of leads, but in revenue generated.

Peace,

Rex

http://paversInstalled.Com

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

good topic.

I'm working on COMPLETELY re-vamping our marketing campaigns.

But, we're on our way out for the day, we'll chat later!

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

word of mouth/customer referrals
    stone yard supplier referrals
    upsell current customer list
    yard signs
    newspaper (this was very ineffective for us)
    Next year is multiple yellow page listings

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Last time i checked word of mouth and vendor referals weren't advertising.

6. Green-Pro

Better check your advertising class out then. Seems to me they covered word of mouth and its merits/downfalls in advertising.

7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Not really sure what generates the most calls or jobs but this is what we do:

1. T-shirts, hats, sweat-shirts, jackets with the Co. name on them
    2. Truck and trailers are lettered
    3. Yellow page and Yellow book ad
    4. Newspaper ad
    5. I always ask for referrals from customers

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I advise against "listings". If you have a good marketing campaign going on at the moment, and just want your name out there - then the listings won't hurt ya.

If you're lookin for the listings to generate alotta sales - they won't.

If you want to advertise in yellow pages, I have found that large, 4 color display ads to be the most effective. Which usually cost $450 - $800 / month.

9. Green-Pro

Thanks for the info. Sorry I should have said advertisement in addition to listing:rolleyes: I checked with our regional yellow page directory, a 1/4 column advertisement + a listing would be about $540 for the whole year. This is only slightly more than a 6-7 run (4, 4 x 3 ads; 1, 1/4 page ad; and 1, "spotlight" ad) Newspaper advertising blows IMO. The best newspaper advertising we did was a small classified that simply said locally produced bulk mulch and gave only my cell #. I ran this ad for about one month, cost me $60, I sold about 80 yards of mulch @ $40 per yard (4 yard min), delivered.
    Sorry for the rambling and using the mulch ad as an example in hardscape forum, just trying to illustrate how wacky advertising can be. I find this to be a difficult strategy to get put into place.
    I'm a marketing major and have no difficulty in putting together promotional materials and using these to sell to customers, existing customers or those that are referred to me. Difficulty it seems lies in the advertising vehicle to use in order to reach those "potential" customers.
    Right now our name is out there in the form of yard signs, trucks, uniforms, etc. I am looking toward the yellow pages as another avenue to keep our name out there in front of folks. We do maintenance for a direct marketing group and I am considering offering them an exchange of services package as well as the yellow pages.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Direct mail IMO is the best way to advertise. It is pricey though. I mail out letters on fancy letterhead, in fancy envelopes, with a business card included. It runs between .80-.90 cents a letter and this is mailling to carrier routes in areas i want to do business.