how do you guys check your fertilizer pattern on your perm-a-green

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ant, Feb 16, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

how do you guys adjust the fert. pattern?
    ant

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

ant

are you on the older model that you need to adjust using wrenches? (had those, real pain in the neck)

we upgraded to the larger hopper, it has an adjustment lever attached to the hopper, makes it MUCH easier, you can adjust on the fly.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

LET ME RE-PHRASE THIS THREAD

HOw do you guys check your pattern?

tsm; yes it is the same as you. does that plate and cable seeze up on you?
    ant

4. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

I tried all the tricks in the begining, used a gauge from a Lesco drop spreader, tried the instructions which took time, but found nothing effective. The wire and cable does bind and the drop rate/opening will change from application to application. Add the fact that you might be chaging the product being applied from one lawn to another, and the effect weather conditions have on the product, the only reliable method for adjustment I have found it experience and my eyes. You just have to get to know the unit and know what the right amount of product being applied looks right. Not the best way to apply product but I start light and go from there. The otehr thing I avoid is the "Spread wide and fast". This is what my 1st boss told me all the time when I was doing application. Since I started a business of my own, he has given me all his lawns for applicaiton the past two years and with much suprise suddenly the lawns are greener and weed control has improved. Anyway, take the time to track the amount of product you are putting down, and take measurements to be sure of the area you are covering. Most customers hae no idea what size of yard you are treating. Enven if they look at the lot size they do not subtract area covered bu the house, patio, driveways, garage, so on.

The new unit does have a hopper with the three holes in most of the other drop spreaders so maybe that might help.

Good Luck