How do you guys clean your mowers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bcsman, Aug 16, 2006.

1. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Just purchased a used Cub Tank that looked really great when I got it. After mowing a few hours obviously doesn't look quite as pretty! Will I do any harm to my ZTR by pulling over to my garden hose and washing her off to clean grass clippings?? I would think I should let the engine cool off for abit before spraying that, but is there anything I can hurt just by spraying water all over?? And once the engine cools off, is there any damage I can do by cleaning that also?? Just don't want to do any damage to anything so if there's something I should not spray or clean please let me know!! Thanks!!

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

i've pressure washed whole machines befor. Theres nothing to worry about except for the obvious stuff[hydro oil tank,gas tank, carborator, that kind of thing.] I dont understand why most people go out and buy equipment, then by the time they sell it, theres four inches of grass coating the the whole thing!

3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Preassure washing is the best way for cleaning your mower up a bit I've found anyways.

4. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

clean it?? HA...all i do is scoop the grass off, sharpen the blades and grease everything.

5. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

be careful pressure warshing... ull cause a spindle to go bad in a hurry if u let water get in your bearings.....

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure washer on the mildest setting.

7. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I don't like getting them wet each time. There are so many nooks and crannys for water to sit in, and worse yet wet grass and leaves to sit in, rusting things over time.

What I have found works best for me is blowing the machines off after each use using the Stihl hand blower. They look awesome afterwards. Periodically (a few times a year) they get a full wash.

When I do wash them, the engines are cool and water is not applied directly to critical areas, carbs, air breathers, gas caps, muffler outlet, computers on the EFI models etc.

After they are washed, they are run with blades engaged to help dry the engine and spin water off the blets and pulleys and blades. I usually blow them off with the hand blower and let them sit in the breeze for a while.

As for pressure washing small equipment - never for me. It is too easy to force water in behind seals to areas where it doesn't belong.

8. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I Just pull out the air hose and blow off everything with the compressor. Wash just once at the end of the mowing season very lightly avoiding hitting the engine with water.

9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

As the previous posters say be careful pressure washing it can force water past seals etc, use on low setting or blow with your air broom :)

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I blow mine off after every house. I try t once a month Ill take the rear tires off and pressure wash the hydo motors and surrounding areas to get all the grass that has accumulated. But thats about it.