How do you guys decide the most efficient way to mow apartments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cod8825, Apr 14, 2007.

1. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,

I am a crew leader this year for my friends business and do all of his lawn apps as I am the only one certified. He got a bunch of new apartment complexes and I was wondering for the rest of you how you decided the most efficient way to mow those units. Most of the places that we do have to have everything edged.

I can do it but it takes me a couple mowings and I almost have to google earth and look it from above to make the best pattern. I hate those stupid buildings.

Just a side not do any of you that service these just blow the trash out into the street or into a fence line and not pick it up or is that just me.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Blowing trash and grass into the street is bad. Cities will often write tickets if caught and you may get some environmental fines as well from the EPA if caught.

More than likely some passerby will turn you in before you actually get caught.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats asking for a bad rap on your business and asking to be dropped real quick. ALWAYS pick up trash, its part of the job. If theres alot, hire someone to just to the trash picking up.
    best way to mow apartments is to start where you park and finish where you park. Have the edgers go in the oposite direction. When your about 1/2 through the job, have someone start blowing off. We worked that way and all finished about the same time. But that was 6 of us. 2 mowing, 2 trimming, 2 edging..

4. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

When I posted the last tid bit it was on those projects in the inner city where there is more trash than grass. After thirty minutes of picking the stuff up you are lick this got to stop somehow. Thanks so far

5. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

We have 26 units that we mow every two weeks and someone pick up trash first and then the 60 ztr starts after the first unit is done then the trimmer starts.After the ztr is done he starts blowing work ok for me.