How do you guys do the dew?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jim d., Sep 17, 2005.

1. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

I had a lawn to do today and was ready to go at 9:00 a.m. but there was heavy dew on the lawn and it didn't evaporate until around 1:00 p.m. I waited and mowed then as I've had the experience of mowing wet grass and having the mower bog down and leaving clumps everywhere. What should I do? (I have a 22" Toro mower.) Should I just go ahead and mow and collect the cuttings, or what? I know that after I gain more accounts I won't be able to wait until afternoon to start mowing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dew surcharge.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I think you should clean it up. Once you do get a lot more accounts then youll have to get a mower that can handle the wet grass. Not only just cutting the wet grass but discharging it cleanly. But like i said, you should go clean it up, just my 2 cents.
  4. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow LawnSite Member

I started out mowing with a 21" mower and had the same problems. The smaller mowers at the most have a 6.75 HP engine which bogs down when mowing tall/wet grass and leaves unsightly clumps everywhere (not professional looking). I upgraded to a 36" Bobcat WB that has a 15 HP engine which has no problem cutting tall/wet grass and discharges the cuttings much better if I don't have the grass gobbler on. My suggestion would be if you made the trip and was there at 9:00am then you should mow regardless of the dew. Just make sure to clean up the clippings the best you can. Does your 22" have a collecting bag? If so, use it even if it does take you more time to empty the bag frequently. Do yourself and your company a favor...go out and get yourself a bigger and stronger mower. In the end your investment will pay off tremendously. Good luck.
  5. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Take your blower and blow the dew off the grass before you mow. I do this often and it keeps my Walker from clogging. Unless the grass is very tall of coarse....Oly
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omg u folks r nuts, why not just take a hand towel and wipe off each blade and look like you care and smile a lot?
    If it's THAT bad then I don't start until 1p and work until dark and blam, there's my 6-8 yards for the day. sheee, why wait until you got MORE accounts to 'start' mowing in the afternoon, matter of fact you get TOO many accounts and you will NOT be able to do it so might as well do it while you can :)
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

In the spring when the grass is thick and wet sometimes I have to go around and hit the clumps with my blower afterwards. Only takes a few minutes. It would definitely help to get a commercial unit or at the least a 21" Personal Pace SUPER RECYCLER, as I have heard those 22" PP's clump a lot anyway.
  8. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough business to justify a medium to large walk-behind, but that probably won't happen until well into next summer. And yes, I knew when I bought it that the PP wasn't the world's greatest when it came to clumping but I thought, "What the hey, it doesn't rain here all that much". I never stopped to think about the dew and I never realized until now how late into the day it can hang around.

I think I'll go with the pre-mowing blow followed by blowing off any clumps that mowing may cause.

topsites, the problem with waiting is that it gets dark earlier and earlier these days, and at the age of 57 (in a couple of weeks anyway) I'm a little slower than many of the guys around here. I need all the hours I can get just to get around...knowwhutImean, vern? :p
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

In spring and fall when the rain or dew come and stay till late in the day, I either,
    1. put the bag on.
    2. am prepared to make a mess. I.e. the clumping. Might not be on the first lawn or second but it will come. That is where the big blower comes in.

I would never go back to an account if I am already there.
  10. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Chill topsites, wer're trying to help a newbie here. Or have you forgotten what's that like? A few min. of blowing has and still does work for me and may as well work for him. We're here to help right?...Oly