How do you guys do your billing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawncrew, May 8, 2008.

1. lawncrew

lawncrew LawnSite Member

Im just starting and i was wanting to know whats the best way to bill people for commercial and residentional accounts? If you you go weekly and send them a bill or what?

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I do all residential. I bill monthly by US Mail. Regular customers get a bill after the end of the month for mowing, cleanups, even if I provide mulch or plants or whatever.

Randome customers that call for a 1 time service, like a cleanup or dethatch, get a handwritten invoice that day. And, I ask for a check if they are home.

3. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Email....................monthly
    quickbooks.................

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Monthly

Work done in April gets billed out and mailed May 1st.

Work done in May gets billed out and mailed June 1st.

Etc.

Only downside is that late in April, things are pretty tight. Tightest they are for me all year.

5. Email preferably. These days, everyone's got email - well, almost everyone.

I charge $2.00 per month for paper billing; email billing is free.

You can look at it a couple ways - on the one hand, I profit a little bit more by charging for billing (which every customer understands with stamps going up every 6 months), but on the other hand I've got to buy paper, ink, stamps, and a new printer here soon... Mine's getting old...

So basically, we stress the email billing thing - just so much faster and quicker, and no one gets to say "I didn't get the bill in the mail"

We offer 1st and 15th bills (due on the 16th or 30th respectively) for the previous month's work.. It's great for customers to have a choice when their bills are due, and splits my time in half by doing it twice a month instead of spending all night doing them all. Plus there's a steady stream of cash coming in all month long.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Billed monthly with Quickbooks Pro and sent out by snail mail and fax.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

quickbooks mail

lawns---monthly

jobs---upon completion

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if you have under 50 customers, you should check out quickbooks simple start. its a nice beginners billing software and its not too expensive on ebay. goodluck.

9. lawncrew

lawncrew LawnSite Member

ya im using quickbooks now and it sounds like the best way. Thanks for the help guys.

10. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Jusy switched over this week and it ROCKS. I thought i had a good system before...nope, quick books makes it so easy. to bill AND keep track of EVERYTHING