how do you guys get bids sent to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdlawn, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jdlawn

jdlawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

I have been reading some posts where possible commercial accounts send you information and what you to bid on their property. I know it is too late for commercial accounts to need a bid but I have already sent out some proposals to some commercial properties I hope to get. I was just wondering how you get them to send information to you and request your bid?

jd

2. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

you need to call any body you may be interested in and ask them to put you on there bidding list . first i drove around and wrote down names and then looked in the phone book also . i sent out letters to about 50 different business and made follow up calls to all and that took some time because you never talk to the right person the first time . i have seen about 25% return , i thought that was good.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you can do follow up calls, or letters

4. jdlawn

jdlawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

alright thanks, ill follow up with the ones i have already sent out. About what time do you send the letters out or make the calls to get a chance to bid?

5. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

All places do not bid at the same time most of them do it in Febuary - march but some in January .one told me in June and some in the fall so start now and you will find some for next year also .

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point, also make sure that you ask them when their contract is up.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I useually ask when they accept bids, ask for the person who is in charge of it,,,

most of the time it's the human resorse Director,

ask if there happy with there current LCO, and may I submit a bid ?

I useually send it the same month they accept them, then a month later do followups

not to say this is the BEST but it's just the way I do it

Good luck

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I personally try to get my commercial accounts to renew before Feb. 1 for the upcoming season. That way no one even gets a chance to come in and bid my properties.

Depending on when your season starts, you should out about 2-3 months before the start. You're going to find there are companies that are on top of things, you're going to find out there are companies that will call you when the grass is 6" tall, wondering why you haven't mowed yet, even though they never called you the first time.

You want to get out early, especially if there are properties that you're trying to target. Once they're bid out, they're done for one year, if not 2-3 years.