1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys get Commerical Installs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Nov 25, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I just drove by a Bank that just was built and saw a Landscape company installing the trees and bushes and thought how do you get those kind of clients? There a lot of Plazas and strip malls being built in my area and i was wondering how you guys broke into this side of the business? THanks a not for the pointers.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I do track-hoe work and although my business is a bit different than yours, I had the same thoughts and found how to get some of that work....which I now do.
    I contacted the landscape companies that do that work and went and introduced myself and showed them pictures of my work and asked if they ever had a need for my services or overload work, or specialty work to keep me in mind. I contacted alot of these guys, and finally, one of the largest companies called me...tried me out on one of their "overflow jobs" and now I am on board with them and they use me all the time. That was the first, now others see me working for the big-boys and call me to come work for them....it has snowballed from there. Getting that first opportunity took me over a year of persistance and rejection, but it has been well worth it.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well first you need to be patient, You hear of these guys getting these seemingly great jobs 1yr in business, but that is a rare thing. I know you see companies doing all of these "great looking" jobs but honestly a lot of these jobs don't pay for crap! It might take you a few years to establish yourself before you get noticed, then be prepared to have all kinds of paper work in hand and you have to have the right equipment and man-power to do a good job. I knew a guy who had a couple years under his belt but his equipment was sub-par. His truck was an old Chevy that barley ran and his mower's were out of the 1970's I think, well he landed a chain of banks (probably by low balling) well not even half way through the season he was either broke down or his mower's were broke. It wasn't too long into the season and I noticed a new service mowing. I saw him a few months ago and asked him what happend, he said they tried sueing him for breaching his contract ect. (seasonal account) What he did with his money, I have no idea but he didn't put much back into the business.
  4. MJK

I'm not talking about Lawn mowing i'm talking about plantings and such.
  5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

management co, builders, developer's along those lines..
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Dodge reports. They list commercial projects coming up for bid. You have to pay a fee to get them they come out frequently weekly every other week. They let you know everything you need to know to bid commercial work.
  7. MJK

Will they have this for Michigan also?
  8. Az Gardener

That last post did'nt read correctly.

They list upcoming commercial jobs. You can go to your local dodge room to see the prints and do your takeoff there. Sometimes you can pick up prints from the builder. You submit your bids to the general contractors also bidding the job then if they get the job and you are the low bidder they may call you to do the work or they may use your bid to leverage their regular landscape contractor.

Be careful what you wish for. There is a reason I know how to get commercial work and I don't pursue it.
  9. Az Gardener

Yes, its world wide you can bid jobs in Iraq if you want.
  10. MJK