1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do you guys get rid of used oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vikings, May 10, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I usually just fill a 2 litre bottle and put it in the trash but I'm starting to produce copious amounts with more machines, even considering changing the oil in my trucks and car... I don't want to hurt the environment.

I thought someone once told me to give it to a garage but I'm not so sure I can do that here.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I take mine to Advanced Auto Parts..
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. Fasttrack237

Fasttrack237 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I know here in Illinois - and i think its nation wide - there is a law that says if you change oil you also have to take used oil. Not that exact verbage of course, but basically any place that does oil changes has to recycle oil you bring in, whether or not your a customer. Mine goes to Pep-boys.
  5. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

i put it in an old sprayer and use my compressor to spray it all over the undercarriage of my trucks... keeps the rust off all the brake lines through the winter!!
  6. ltlm

ltlm LawnSite Member

walmart takes it
  7. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I can put it in a milk jug and leave it for curbside recycling.
    I know at least SOME local auto parts stores also accept it.
    I doubt my local Safeway does.
  8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I give it to our school that heats the bus barn with it.
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Thanks, I got off my butt and phoned Canadian Tire and they actually do accept used oil.

Thanks for the nudge.

on a related note, last time I had an oil change at Canadian Tire they only put enough oil for a 4 cyl. engine in my 6 cyl. Ranger:laugh: noobs.
  10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i dont know how much oil you plan on changing but at our shop we have a big drum...300 gallons i think...maybe more, that we dump all our oil in then a oil recyling service comes and takes it...then again we are changing a lot of oil with 5 big trucks, 5 powerstroke trucks, and a bunch of heavy equipment