1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do you guys get used to...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

ok so how do you guys get used to using feet to move a trackhoe? I tried to do it on that job we worked on yesterday and it was just so uncomfortable and i would always put one more pressure on the left control than the other so i would start running to the right.

oooo I did a umm what do you call it when you turn by putting the boom down and turn the house one way and the tracks the other way? well i have no clue but i did it because of all the wet sand was sticking in the rollers and it would just sit there... haha
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the only time i use the levers is when my feet get tired if i am tracking over a long distance...its a feel thing like any other, allows you to move and work the boom all at the same time
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

When I rented alot I usually just used my hands.
    Now that I own my machine I forced myself too become proficient at it.
    It gets even more fun when you are digging with the cab opposite of the blade.
    I am no pro but I am improving .
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

adjust the seat so your feet sit comfortably on the foot controls and you are not sitting too far back in the seat. practice in your mind using the foot controls....practice with seat time using the foot controls forcing yourself not to use your hands on the levers........then start to "feel" the machine with your feet. once you get past thinking and have the feel, it is just a natural occurance.........seat time, seat time, seat time........
  5. Junior M

I will try that... i still have the 335 sitting here costing me money and i dont have anywhere to go get some seat time screwing around learning some new ways to do stuff.. and it is really aggravating me so i am on here full filling my equipment need... but i think my biggest problem are the pedals that are on the sticks they are really in a wierd place but i will try that next time i am on it.. and i should have some place to go screw around to try and learn....
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

7. Junior M

ok i am goin to ask a question that KSSS is just goin to love!! what do you mean inverted? backwards?
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Just practice. Once you have that down, you should be able to do jump turns without stopping. In high travel speed, I can drop the bucket on the ground, lift up a little, swing the carriage over and keep going all in one motion.
  9. Junior M

I can do jump turns now with out stopping but i have to all cross armed and am sitting kinda funny because i use my left hand on the sticks and my right arm is goin across to the joystick. (remember scag i run those controls that you think are useless to learn)
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Ah junior. What's hilarious is that the swing and bucket functions are the same between Deere and Cat controls, you'd be doing the same thing if you were running REAL excavator controls. Not sure why you wouldn't be using your right hand on the sticks so your left hand could run the house. Better yet, just force yourself to use your feet from here on out.