How do you guys handle landscaping request? when you dont know landscaping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Jun 3, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started my biz about 1 year ago ( have about 100 weekly customers now ) and planned on mainly sticking to just mowing as Ive never done landscaping/planting etc. ... Can one continue to grow without knowing how to plant trees, flowers etc... For commercial accounts will I need to know more the just mowing.

Doesnt one need a landscaping degree to do landscaping? How do you guys do it?

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

if you have 100 accounts i'd say you dont need to do any landscaping, i'd stick to mowing, but thats just me. just tell them for now your trying to stick to just maintenence.
  3. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

For residentials, yes.

For commercial accounts -- it would be hard. They generally prefer to hire one operation. What you could do, if you wanted, is find a landscaper yourself, and make a deal with him. Provide landscape services through him.
  4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Take on some smaller jobs then work your way up.Plant a few shrubs and while your at the garden center, try to learn a new plant everytime you go there.Read.As for immediate results, I would do like the other poster said,hook up with a landscaper.When I started I didnt even know where to buy mulch.
  5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a landscaper that I use to handle all those requests. It works out great...he HATES mowing...and doesnt do it. I dont pretend to be a I dont do it. I send em his way...he sends em my way. He's educated with a degree in landscaping and design...has a license...and does AWESOME work. It works out great for me.
  6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Stick to your guns stay with the mowing and find a good landscaper to sub your work too.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You know the saying"jack of all trades master of none". if you don't know what your doing, then sub it out or refer them to someone. I have a couple companies that just do landscaping that i refer my customers to. Same way with applications. They on the other had do not mow or plow snow so they refer customers to me.