How do you guys keep track of your lawns.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Sep 14, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

How do you keep track of all your lawns? Do you do the same lawns on the same days every week? I have over 50 and I don't get to some of them on the same days, but I do try. I have a little system that keeps track.

Also how do you guys keep track of any extra work out side of lawn cutting. For example the customer asks you to cut down prickers or plant a bush. I have ADD, so keeping track of everything is extremely challenging for me.

On top of remembering the stuff I mentioned, there's remembering maintenance, and all kinds of other stuff.

whats your system?

2. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

I have a small notebook in my truck.

I write out the date and time spent for each account, services rendered, and bill monthly according to the notebook.

3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You have to go electronic to be affective in this day and age. I use gopher and it works great.

4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i keep most of my stuff in my brain.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I made a list and print it out on monday morning. It has all my mowings name address and contact info and a spot for comments where i can write down a note if needed. As I mow them I put the date to make it off.

__ Name Address _________________

Something like that. It works for me and i can have all the info for billing on a few pieces of papper right in front of me as I do my billing.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You get a small index box, then buy yourself a pack of different colored index cards. Buy labels, and on the labels print out the customer's name, addy and phone #. Keep all routes together, we have 6 routes, so we have 6 different colors of index cards. After the day is done, if you do 20 lawns, you mark on the back of each customer card the date of service. You keep that index box with you in the truck, so at any time during the season, you can pull out the customer's card and reference back to when their last cut was.
    When a customer asks for extra work, such as hedge trimming, mulching etc, when you get back to the truck, you make a note of it on the customers index card.

As for maintenance, you buy a nice notebook, and record in the notebook each time you service one of your machines. Keep it in the garage/shop with you.

Everything of course is kept on the computer, i use spread sheets, and groundskeeper pro, but having those index cards out in the field is mighty handy. We are not a large operation, nor pretend to be, currently only have 104 clients, but we still need to be organized.

7. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Gopher. I don't know how I lived without it.

8. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

I use a large 16'x24' desk calendar. Write down when they need done. Then that morning I write them on paper. Through the day I make notes and transfer the notes on to the calendar for billing. I can fill in the whole month and keep track. I usaully have changes through the month. You can get generic calendars and fill in the dates.

Works for Me!!

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You know all your customers, where they live... Make a route. Stop driving around aimlessly doing this one and that one and putting off one till tomorrow. Set a schedule, try to make it so that you can drive to them in a row, if you know what I mean. That in itself will help eliminate missed lawns.

Second, Take that schedule and just type it on WORD or whatever you like, 2 columns per page, like 2 days per page, list them out in the order you do them each day, double spaced. This is your weeks jobs. Print 4 of those for a month... Write in the date on each day for later use when billing. Use this and each day check off the lawns as you do them. If you did extra something scribble that next to their name. At the end of the month when u bill just look over your list and let your memory take a nap!

Sorry if thats not a $800.00 computer program that prints out "route sheets" with barcodes and maps on them... Hey I'm not jonny 1,000 lawns here. With 50 to 100 lawns this system works for me very well and dosn't require me to plug things into the computer daily nor carry a palm pilot.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

It is still such a waste of time... Spend $200 and get gopher. Print out the route schedules, check them off as you do them. Go into gopher at the end of the day and hit "complete" and keep on doing it for the next day and so on. Hit generate invoices at the end of the month and bam, your done and it will print out all the invoices with the dates you serviced their house and the amount due, all that info.

Can't get much easier and not waste any time