How do you guys keep your walls perfectly straight?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cards1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

2. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

string line and 6ft level for the back of the blocks

3. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input guys!!
    Sounds like we're all on the same page as far as stringline and 4' level i was just curious to hear some of the different responses.

Have you guys ever heard of running rebar through your base rows for extra support? We had to redo a collapsed wall(done by another company) and they used it going around tight corners. Needless to say the corners were the only sections that didn't blow out. The wall had no drainage or rock backfill and only 2-4 inches of base rock. So we ended up redoing the whole wall.

4. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like they needed the rebar because the rest of the wall was built wrong. I wouldn't use it unless told to by an engineer.

5. btammo

btammo LawnSite Member

Corner was stronger probably where a blow out is easier to happen on a straight run.

The problem I run into is that we take our time (Probably more time than most) on the base course. We get it dead nuts level side to side, front to back and all dead on line with string. Put the next course on and it says low in the back or something other than level which it should be. Drives me nuts.

The other thing with the split faced blocks is that if you string the back of the blocks, the fronts will wave a little due to the imperfection of a split face cut in the manufacturing process......We use Anchor

6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean. I've found that some brands are worse than others for that.
    I get the blocks as straight as possible, then make sure the caps are perfectly straight. This seems to make it all look right, even if there are slight differences in the blocks.