1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys like the slit seeders.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MXHalofan, Sep 29, 2012.

1. MXHalofan

MXHalofan LawnSite Member

Never used one but curious if they are better than a regular verticutter. I've seen a couple Lesco power seeders with Honda engines around that use hydro power to move. Really like some feedback about slit seeders and if they can replace a good verticutter. I vcut many 5-9k sq ft lawns and would love to upgrade.

How much slower than a 18" billygoat vcutter are they? (4.5hp robin)
    How well do they turn on the smaller properties? Lots of turning involved for me.

I was mainly wanting to upgrade the verticutting action and not concerned about the seeding so much.

Here's one I'm looking at
  2. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

I recently traded an old walk behind that we didn't use for a Ryan Mattaway seeder. It's a big machine, I haven't personally used it but a friend in the biz has used it for the past week. He said it seems to do a nice job but its a beast of a machine for smaller properties and tough on hills. I will be using it this week and be able to update you
  3. MXHalofan

Yea, let me know how it works out. I've called a local to test out a machine so maybe I'll find out for myself soon.

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the toro slit seeder. Youll never look back. Best seeder out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The big question here is does a slit seeder produce better results than aeration? Or vertical mowing? Better than broadcast? If so, how much better?
    Opinion? Does it matter what type of seed you are using? What condition should the old turf be? What is the best method in your part of the country?
  6. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't used either. But word is, this is the best one out there.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Slit-seeders on open ground works great, as many of us have seen, I'm sure... where the results are inconsistant is through existing turf... there are so many different conditions in which a seeder may work well in one existing lawn and completely fail in another...
    The aerator is much more consistant in that, dollhair effect is all it can produce... :)
  8. MXHalofan

9. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The toros and exmarks are not available as of yet. Better find a lawn solutions model. We tried to buy one last month.
  10. MXHalofan

Yea, called LS twice during business hours and left two messages LOL. Guess they are busy. I can't find pricing info. Anyone know what these things run? Prolly want the 9 or 13 HP unit.