How do you guys like to be paid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramster2000, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Ramster2000

Ramster2000 LawnSite Member

How do you guys like to be paid after completing a job, whether it be mowing, mulching, trimming, fertilizing, and so on. Do send a monthly bill to everyone of your customers. If so how do you send them out, through mail? Do you pay for all the stamps each month or do you have one of those envelopes that don't require a stamp. If so how did you go about getting them, I am interested in finding a new way to collect my money. Right now I am just knocking on the door when I am done. That is very time consuming because some of my customers like to talk a lot. I was interested in changing the way I collect my money, so any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

I do a monthly billing, send them on the 1st of the month everytime i pay for stamps but, if someone does know how to get the fee ones let us know :blob3:

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We send out a bill at the end of the month. Collecting each time or even once a month at the door takes up a lot of time. We use the computer to address the envelopes and put on our return address. I hope this helps.

OK, now you have asked 4 questions. I have asked you 2 questions in replies to your posts. Could you please answer my questions too? You need to read the responses to your questions so we can further help you out.

Here is one of mine to you.
    What state is Jamison in? Could you add the state to your profile so we know where you are from? The reason is, in your other post we would of had a good idea what sort of grass you are cutting by knowing what state you are in.

I did look up your town and the only one I see in the USA is in Iowa. If this is the right state, could you add that to your location? If you don't know how, let me know and I can do it for you.

Please answer the question I had on your cutting problem also on that thread.

Thanks
    Eric

4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I like to be paid cash on the spot. That does not happen often. It saves me a trip to the bank. I hate banks!

I have both annual accounts and accounts that are billed at the end of the month for each mowing. The bill goes out around the first and is normally left on the front door. I expect payment in my grubby paws by the 10th of the month with a 5 day grace period. There is a 5% late fee for anything not to me by 5 PM on the 15th (unless I can see from the postmark it was lost in the mail for a substantial amount of time).

I supply self addressed envelopes which also include my address as the return address. It should get back to me no matter what. I used to include stamps but found I was not getting my self addressed envelopes back. I stopped placing stamps on all my accounts but 1. That account pays promptly and ALWAYS uses my envelope.

You can also leave bills with return envelopes after each mowing. They can be due in 7 days. That way you shouldn't mow more than twice without getting paid. I prefer the monthly billing because it is less administrative hassle for me.

Good Luck,
    Mark

5. i do a mixture of billing methods. i find that it works well for me. some people i leave a bill in the mailbox, others i go to their door and get paid, i am gonna try for this year to leave an account or two unpaid until the end of the year to cover some winter expenses. i have heard about this being a good thing to do and am going to try to implement it.

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

We invoice out clients the first of the month via snail mail. Payment is always due by the 10th of each month. Some pay by check and some use PayPal on our web site. One exception, for some reason we are catching lots of vacation mowing this year. If the client is unknown to me, payment must be made in advance. No mo' no mow.

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I like a brown paper bag with $$$ in it.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Let me help you out with what your talking about. You don't want to leave accounts unpaid until winter time. You have the concept a little misunderstood.

Let me try to clarify it a little bit, and I personally think this is a great billing method for maintenance contracts.

When you have a yearly contract to regularly maintain a property, some people, instead of billing each week or month for payment in full, spread out the payments over a 12 month period, so they're bringing in steady income, no matter what the workload is. Anything outside of the contract, i.e. pond install, landscaping, etc is billed regularly.

example:

You mow Mrs. Jones' Grass every week for 7 months out of the 12. Her monthly bill is usually $125.00 (every month for 7 months) for a total of $875

What you can do is spread that out : Bill her $73.00 every month for 12 months instead. This will give you steady income over the slow winter months. (in seasonal climates, when snow removal can be slow or non-existant/not offered)

Most clients like this also because thats a little less stress ($ wise) on them during the 7 mowing months.

Let me know if this helps!

9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I usually get paid right after I do the job. Most of my customers are never home anyway and leave the money somewhere for me. I get the money and I can leave without having a long conversation. There are a handful of clients, mostly commercial, that I send a monthly invoice to. I just buy a roll of stamps from the post office each time, since there are not that many invoices being sent out each month. I always make sure to get money on the spot for 1st mow's. Sometimes you don't know people from Adam, so you want to make sure they are going to be a paying customer.;)

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Why? Learn to budget, bill year round, why let them keep money in their bank drawing interest until the winter? Heck, go ahead a get the money, send it to me, I'll hold it for you until the fall. :D:angel: